BX2-50 Harness lug screws stripped. Help.

Started by coores14, November 06, 2012, 10:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coores14

hey guys, i'm working on some BX2-50s for a customer and they arrived with quite a few of the harness lug screws stripped out. The screws themselves look fine and since it is stainless screwing into aluminum, I've gotta believe it is the frame threads that are stripped.

What are my options here?  I tried calling Accurate, but that was quite frustrating. The harness lugs don't even appear on their schematics and when I called they couldn't pull the schematic up because "nothing was working".  I was also trying to get a side plate/frame screw from them, but that couldn't happen because again, "nothing was working".

Maybe if I knew the screw size and thread pitch I could get a roll tap or something?

I had one of them get a bite by adding in a small metal shim which the screw was able to grab onto, but one of the reels they just won't grab anything. 

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

alantani

you may have to go with the next size up.  it might be a 5-40 thread.  you would have to jump to a 6-32.  that means retapping it at the very least. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coores14

Thanks Alan. Without having a thread pitch gauge, is there any way to confirm exactly what I have? I can post a pic of the screw tonight when I get home.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have any of the frame screws, would you?  According to the schematic they are the same for all of the BX2 reels.

coores14

here's a quick pic of the harness lug screw. I put a simple allen wrench in there to give it scale.

alantani

accurate's phone number is 888-222-8372.  i have some of the atd's and some of the old boss series two speeds, but none of these.  if you can call accurate, they should have answer.  just a guess, but it looks like a 5-40 thread. 

coores14

Thanks. But unfortunately, like I said in the first post, I tried calling them and they were borderline useless. He took my number and said he'd call today after "researching" it. It's 9pm here and no call. Now, this was after waiting a week for them to return two emails, one to the lady in Parts and one using their online Contact Us form. So far, I'm not too impressed with their ability to handle this.

I just want to get this fixed so I can get it back to the customer.
Maybe I'll just go up to the 6-32 and get er done. But that still leaves me with needing the side plate screw. Ugh...

alantani

send me an e-mail with your address and i will send you however many you need.  i should have enough. 

alantani@yahoo.com