Yet another drag question but one that I can’t find an answer for.

Started by cbiegel, October 20, 2009, 08:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbiegel

I know this is a topic that has been beaten to death but I'm looking for an explanation as apposed to a recommendation.

So, why does putting grease on carbon fiber drag washers not completely ruin their effectiveness?

I'm not questioning those with obviously more experience than me but it seems completely counter intuitive to lubricate something that you want to create friction. I understand that it will allow the drag to slip smoothly but I'd think that it would also massively lower the drag power as well.  Clearly this doesn't happen or no one would do it.  Why is this true?

Again, I'm not questioning the benefits of putting grease in the stack I just want to know why/how it works without completely removing the drag power.

alantani

no problem......

at high speeds, it apparently does!  it's something that cal and eric sheets refer to as "high speed runout."  it is the nasty tendency for the drag pressure to decrease as the "speed" of the spool increases.   apparently, excess amounts of shimano drag grease can result in a 40% loss in drag pressure at high speeds, whereas limited amounts of cal's grease will not have such a detrimental effect.    (personal communication with e. sheets)  it's not even a function of temperature, just speed!  think 300 pound yellowfin tuna!

for low speed applications, which is probably 99.99999% of the fishing done, it is not a problem.  i'm guessing that the drag grease simply does not affect the pressure of a coarse woven sheet of carbon fiber against a poorly polished piece of stainless steel.  the main thing that the grease does is to keep the coarse weave of the carbon fiber from filling up with hardened corrosion and other junk.  if the carbon fiber washer glazes, it will stick.  like two pieces of glass with a layer of water in between, then stick together.  funny how it works! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!