An Unusual 200 Surfmaster

Started by George4741, November 07, 2012, 09:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Here is a 200 surfmaster that I narrowed to a 150 width.  When I disassembled it to replace the drags, I discovered it has a smaller 5-155 main gear and takes the -155 drag washers.  Most surfmasters use a larger 5-60 main gear and -60 drags.  

Here I'm comparing some parts to a squidder on the left.  There are some similarities between the squidder and a STANDARD surfmaster.  They share the same main gear, drag washers, gear sleeve, and bridge.  You can see the main gear opening is much larger on the squidder sideplate.  A  -60 gear won't fit in my reel.  This surfmaster also uses a different bridge and gear sleeve.  The gear sleeve is the larger jigmaster size, however it has a smaller hole bored through it to fit the shaft of the smaller post on the bridge.  I'm not sure what part number the bridge is, probably a very old 3-155.  

Here you can see a -60 main gear won't fit in this surfmaster sideplate.

MysticParts says some of the very old 200 surfmasters were made this way.  It probably predates 1958.  For those who collect Penn reels in general, and surfmasters in particular, it is another unusual variation to look for.
 George

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

George, the 3-155 and the 3-200 bridge plate are identical with the exception of the location of the sleeve post.
I show what I mean on the pictures:

The sleeve post is set back about 1/8" on the 3-200 to make room for the 5-60 ( larger gear )

As you can see, the gears are at the same location to the pinion.
If I install the 3-155 bridge on my Surfmaster 100 plate, the sleeve hugs the top part of the opening of the plate.
If I install the 3-200 bridge on the same plate, the sleeve hugs the bottom part of the opening of the plate.
The bottom line, they will both work on the newer 100 plate, but I don't see why you would want to downgrade the gears :-\.
By the way, I know this is not related to what you're showing above, I just wanted to point out the differences on the two brige plates
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

I had a Surf Master 200 with the knuckle Buster switch. It was my Dad's & bought in the 40's. I had to replace the side plate because the Dog Spring had no place to rest, that part was broken in the reel.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

George4741

Sal, thank you for clearing things up with your last sentence.  I was beginning to think I was misunderstood and need to rewrite my post.

Quote from: bluefish69 on November 08, 2012, 12:06:55 AM

I had a Surf Master 200 with the knuckle Buster switch. It was my Dad's & bought in the 40's. I had to replace the side plate because the Dog Spring had no place to rest, that part was broken in the reel.

Hmmm, another example of an unusual surfmaster and something else for collectors to look for.

Lee, you have a few surfmasters.  Have you found anything unusual about any of them?
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Geroge,
Thanks for the info.  I checked all my surfmasters and they all have the larger main gear.  I was hoping to have something a little different.
John

Alto Mare

John, if you needed to be different, just pop the 3-155 bridge in there and the 5-155 gears, as I mentioned above ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: George4741 on November 08, 2012, 12:20:45 AM
Lee, you have a few surfmasters.  Have you found anything unusual about any of them?

Mine all look like a standard Surfmasters.  I have a older 200 I haven't looked at though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain