Penn 30TW shims

Started by keyshunter, November 09, 2012, 06:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyshunter

I opened another of my 30TW's which had never been serviced since new. I found that the Bellville's were oriented () () and there was a shim between the stack and the spool. There was also a shim on the right plate end of the pinion. I looked through some of Alan's tutorials and I think I understand why. What confuses me is that when I pulled the spool, the left plate bearing came with it, and there was another shim between the bearing and the left plate. Why would this be there?

I used this reel since new and the free spool and drag were fine, but this is the first one i have done that had any shims, let alone 3 in different places.

kamuwela

shims on the shaft are normal. the only one id be concerned about is the one under the plate bearing. i have seen shims between the drag and spool bearing but never between the plate and bearing. it had been misplaced from the start.

keyshunter

The hole diameter of that shim is the same as the diameter of the bearing opening so it was probably put there on purpose. Do you think it would hurt anything if I reassemble the reel without it?

kamuwela

i see no harm in leaving it out.

keyshunter

I reassembled the reel without that shim, and it seems fine, except for a slight gear grind in the same position on each revolution of the handle. I don't remember if the grind was there before I started. There seems to be plenty of drag. I set it for 15 lb at strike, which is my normal for 50 lb mono, and it gave me 24 lb at full. There seemed to be plenty of drag adjustment left, and a crisp snap into freespool. Curious about the gear grind, I assembled it both with and without the shim which is on the end of the pinion behind the gear and against the bearing. There was no difference in grind and very little difference in drag either way.

kamuwela

must be the clean gears. i notice the same thing even on the a/r dogs, dont worry its fine. huh perfectionists  ;D