Is this really a Penn spool?

Started by sdlehr, March 24, 2016, 03:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Probably Chrome Brass Sid. It is an old three piece model, prone to warping. It would make a nice display piece.
I'm not home or I would measure to figure out what reel it fits.
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Sid, that is not a penn spool...........no way, no how

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Could be almost anything, Sid -- except a Penn.

I have crates of those from various companies -- no number or stampings -- useless IMO.

Heddon, Asian knock-offs, Euros, who knows -- I don't...

All Manufactured by Oscar Bravo -- out of business.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

The arbor kind of looks like this spool, but its a 16/0.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Thanks guys. I mostly wanted to know that I wasn't ignorant of a stainless steel Penn spool. It's not designed like any other Penn spool I've seen.... Daron, you're still thinking like a fisher and not a collector. To a collector it matters not if the spool might blow up. ;D

Sid
Sid Lehr

cbar45

The circular flange-supports on each end remind me of Olympic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympic-Dolphin-615-Replacement-parts-Spool-/322039372625?hash=item4afb0adb51:g:rsYAAOSwuTxV8cDF

It seems that some eBay sellers are inclined to put "Penn" before any random unknown part--hoping to get more views/thinking it will sell.

sdlehr

Looks like you nailed it, Chad! The pics look the same to me. I agree, I've seen things on Ebay labeled "Penn" that were clearly something else. I imagine it does increase traffic for them.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Sid, the seller may just be ignorant. It took an AT expert to determine the model, and I doubt your average eBay seller could pull that off.

If you were a thoughtful person  ;D ;D you would message the seller with this info and they will love you for it. If it gets correctly listed for the proper reel it would likely sell.

Daron, that is a sweet reel......showoff  :D :D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

basto

I have a 285 with a stainless spool.How many models did Penn make ss spools for?
thanks
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

philaroman

an Olympic "Made in USA"   ???  that doesn't sound right