FISHING REPORT FROM BAJA; WON TUNA JACKPOT TOURNAMENT

Started by Dominick, November 13, 2012, 03:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hi Alan Tani members.  I'm down in Los Cabos, Baja Sur.  Weather is perfect with cool mornings and hot days.  The Sea of Cortez is flat but the Pacific side is a little bouncy.  We fished the Pacific side out of Cabo San Lucas during the tournament and caught about 40 yellow fin tuna over 2 days of fishing.  Our largest fish was 45 lbs and the tournament winner was 372 lbs.  We could not make the board because there were 11 tuna over 200 lbs.  Internet connection is very slow and I am having problems uploading to Photobucket so I will post photos when I get home.  I met some people down here and was invited to fish a day with them after the tournament.  We went over to the Pacific side and came up with 14 Dorado the largest of which was about 30 lbs.  I also caught a striped marlin in the 125 lb class.  We attempted to release it but it died at the boat.  I have some marlin meat in the freezer.  None of it will go to waste.  I'll supplement this thread with photos and a better narrative of the trip.  Sal, the Tank worked out a little.  It handled the high drags ok. Mi sono rilassato e contento.  Dominick
Here are some select photos of the fish we caught during the tournament.

My friend Joe told me to put a shirt on.  He said he was getting motion sickness.

Joe and John with our number as we checked in.

Here is the whole team.  I am sorry the photo came out out of focus.

This photo was not out of focus.

Here is the "Tank" in action.  Teamed it up with a Penn Senator rod.  I wish Sal was there to work it.

This is the fish the Tank brought in.  The Tank worked flawlessly.  Sal's an artisan. 

This is a photo of me and the official photographer for Western Outdoor News.  I wanted a picture of him because he is a spitting image of Marco Scutarro one of the SF Giants heroes.  When I told him he was a twin of Marco Scuttaro he said "who?"  He knew of the Giants but did not know any players.

Here is a photo of some anorexic babes I tried to pick up but they would not give me the time of the day.

Mexicans celebrate the day of the dead.  These decorations are for "día de los muertos."  The Mexicans remember there loved ones as they lived.  It is rather touching the way they remember their relatives even though it seems macbre by American standards.

Here is yours truly the day before the tournament and just before the Captain's meeting.  I am kicking back with a cigar and a Pacifico.  I guess you can tell I was having a good time.

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Thanks for checking in Dominick, no $...so what! Sounds like you had a great trip. Can't wait for the full report.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Sounds like a Great trip.....can't wait to see some pictures...
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

Sounds like a great trip Dominick.  Have a safe trip back and cannot wait to see the pics.  BTW, I still have your reels...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

HOLEINTHEWATER

Cone

40 tuna in two days sounds like a great trip. Thanks for letting us share. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Awesome, I just love that area (Cabo) for fishing and relaxing..
Cant wait to see the pics.......
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dominick

I added photos and a brief narrative.  Hey Sal there is a picture of the Tank.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Hey Dominick, Just got in from dinner. Taking advantage of our first weekend in 20 years with no kids in the house (put Anthony on a plane to see his sister in Boston for a long weekend).
Looks  like it's official...the Tank has been christened! Nice report, Dominick! I wish I was there with you guys, looks like you had a great time. The only thing I would change is a swap from that beer you're holding there to a nice Brandy! I hope that you get many more years enjoyment out of that Tank!
By the way, never mind the shirt...is there anything you could do to bring those shorts down to knee length  ;D Just kidding, you know you're still a stud!
Thanks for sharing!
Your friend,
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Hello Dominick,

Thanks for the report and pictures.  Sorry you were not in the money but I know you had a great time.
Do you fish in this tournament every year???

John

redsetta

That's great Dominick - fantastic to get to share in it all with ya!
Love the pics - the Tank looks right at home in Cabo (top work Sal).
Stoked you had such a good trip.
My brother, sis-in-law, nieces and Mum are all down there at present - arrived yesterday.
I got an iPhone clip of them all at restaurant in San Jose last night, with a mariachi band playing and margaritas flowing ;)
Paradise...
I'm bailing on the Three Kings trip and now looking to get down there with my bro for a few weeks between March and May next year.
Would be great to get a line in the water with ya one day.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Cone

Dominick, Great pictures and report. Too bad you didn't hook up the big one on the tank, I'm sure it would have handled it. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!