?Newell Parts for 349?

Started by Keta, November 13, 2012, 04:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Did Newell ever make a base for the 349?  My project reel really needs a better base.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

buitrechico

A friend of mine had a 349 with a different base (not Penn original). I'm gonna ask him about it.
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Ron Jones

The 49 uses a narrow jigmaster frame, and Newell made the "Wahoo Special" wide 349, but I don't know of a Newell 349 width base.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

buitrechico

I asked my friend and he told me it was a Newell Wahoo Special base (width similar as a Senator 4/0),and as Ron says he never knew a 349 width made by Newell either.
Do you really think that 349 base is not strong enough for your reel project?

Richard
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Keta

It is but I'd like to have a different base for this reel, thanks for looking.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I just don't understand the "Wahoo Special" I love Newell stuff, but it seems to me a Wahoo Special is a 6/0h Senator with 4/0 guts.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

A 349H Wahoo Special is the same width as a narrowed 114H not the stock 114H.  
The 349HW is a "square reel" and feels good on a rod, the same can be said of the slightly heavier narrowed 114H.  
This mod came out before spectra and line capacity was a concern with a standard width 349.
For wahoo a 349H is more than enough reel, I would consider one for mid/large YFT if I didn't have several two speed 50s and 70s.

My largest wahoo to date, 87lbs

A Venice, LA wahoo from when we towed a 23' boat down, late winter after Katrina.

Mark Twain