Penn 750SSm ?

Started by beachbum2, November 14, 2012, 02:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beachbum2

First of all, great site! I am a new member and can't believe i haven't found this site a long time ago, it's awesome. Lot's of info. I have always been a big fan of Penn reels. I also have some old Mitchels that I used as a kid, i would like to restore. My 750 SSm question. I have 3 used reels where the bail cam screw has corroded. All the other parts are fine. Can anyone tell what size tap to re-thread the rotor, or do I need to purchase new rotors?

Thanks for your time!

Keith

Alto Mare

Hello Keith, welcome!
Someone might have an answer for you, I can't help you with that one , but can give you some valuable advise...try to get yourself a US made 750.
Enjoy your stay, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

I have an 850ss that the bail arm screw broke off flush with the rotor. I drilled it out and chased it with a tap. I don't remember the size. I think maybe a 8-32. It wasn't the exact tap but it was close enough to work. I still have the reel. A lot of Penn screws are made for them and odd thread sizes. You may be able to take the new screw to a hardware store and try different nuts and find something close. I have a thread pitch guage somewhere but it's lost in the abyss. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

welcome, keith!  yeah, the spinner guys are going to have to help you with this one.  i'm not much on spinning reels.  if you have part numbers, i might be able to help if mysticparts.com says that they are out of stock.  i have some old items scattered in crates.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dobrobill

akfish

I've seen this problem with too many of the recently discontinued SSm reels. Apparently they were assembled without any grease on the bail screws. If you can get the nub out, you can get the correct screw from MysticParts.com. And remember to grease it before installation.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

bluefish69

Try southwesternparts.com

They are a Penn Distributor like Scott's. Scott's has sent me there & SW has sent me to SW
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.