349 to 349h?

Started by Ron Jones, November 14, 2012, 03:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Other than gears and side plates, what is involved with upgrading a 349 to a 349h?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

The side plates are the same but the drag washers have a bigger OD on the 349H.  You will need 349H gears and a full 5+1 drag set.  
A 113H SS gear sleeve isn't the same but it will work on a 349H.

Is the pinion gear on the reel you have a hobbed gear?  The 349 isn't, the 349H is.

349H pinion gear                            

349 pinion gear
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

You'll also need a different pinion yoke. 

Quote from: Keta on November 14, 2012, 04:11:08 AM
The side plates are the same   

Yeah, thanks for the confusion, Penn.
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

Thank you,
My head now hurts. If the side plates are the same, then how do different drags fit? Does the main gear on the H model have thinner side walls?

Do you think it is worth it to start with a 349 for 10-20 bucks and upgrade to an H model that normally goes for 60?

Also, if the 113h sleeve works on the 349h, what is the difference between the bridge/sleeve of the 349 and the 349H?

One more thing, earlier, Keta wanted to know about Newel parts for the 349. Newel bars and base for the 501 fit the 49, and the 349 is the same width as the 49 so the bars should fit. If someone has both reels, it would be interesting to see how close the bases are.

I wonder if the Newell parts, a stainless sleeve, double dogs and steel gear would stiffen a 49L up enough to exceed 10 pounds of drag?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

redsetta

Are you sure about the reel seat?
I have a Tib 501 and the screw pattern is different to my 349 (and, of course, the circumference is significantly smaller).
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

The main gear on a high speed 349 is larger so it takes a larger OD washer.

As far as I know the 349 and 349H have the same gear sleeve, the 113H gear sleeve has a smaller "gear" OD for the dog.

The Newell and Penn 501 bars fit a 349, I have them on the project reel reel now.  The 349 base takes 6 screws, 3 on each side, the 49 and 501 base takes 4 screws.

The shaft on the bridge is the weak point on a 49, it's the same diameter as the Jigmaster.

So far every 349 I've bought has been a 349H.  Gears are hard to find and cost a bit more than 114H gears.  I have a new low speed pinion but have been reluctant to pay the prices I've been seeing for a new main gear.  

And to confuse things more, some 349/349H reels have one lever, some 2 levers and all marked 349.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

Cheers Lee - the last time I worked on a 49 was about three years ago and I'd completely forgotten it had a different base.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

I believe all r/h sideplates are marked "349" whether they are the slower 349 or the faster 349H/349HC.  "H" means high speed gears and "C" is for the second lever that disengages the dog, aka the knucklebuster lever. 

The 349 has a larger pinion gear and a smaller main gear/drag washers.  The 349H has a smaller pinion gear and a larger main gear/drag washers.  Metal drag washers are available for the 349H/HC at Smoothdrag.  The smaller 349 metal drag washers are no longer made.  I got very lucky and found some on ebay.   

The bridges are the same on all versions.

I have three 349HC reels and wanted a slower 349.  Several of the ebay sellers advertised their reels as 349, but when I asked them to count the spool revolutions, they turned out to be 349H, or 349HC.  I was getting impatient and bought some 349 gears and a pinion yoke on ebay and converted one of mine to a slower 349.  Prior to this I bought some metal drag washers on ebay, thinking they were something else, and they turned out to be for a 349.  I also don't like the knucklebuster lever and bought some single lever sideplates to install on my reels.

For reference, the 349 drags are approximately 1.104" diameter and the 349H/HC drags are 1.228".

And as I'm typing this I see that Lee has just posted much of the same info, so Lee, forgive me for repeating what you said.
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Twice is better than none and you added some good info.  I also forgot what you told me about the 349HC being the double lever, the 2 I got at the Klamath Falls Goodwill were double lever and the box said 349HC.  I've been thinking about a way to disable the second lever with out changing hard to find parts.

I think I know where I can find some 349 metal washers as well as a pile of thin 349H ones.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

The 501 reel seat fits a 49. I didn't realize that most 349s were high speed. If the difference on the sleves is the ratchet then it shouldn't be that big of deal, obviously it's not, you all are making it work. I thought all the 349Hs had red side plates, shows what little I know.

Decisions, decisions.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Penn liked parts interchangeability when it worked but the 349 uses a lot of 349 specific parts.
Most of my 349s are black.  The 349/349H/349HC are confusing.  

Mark Twain

Makule

Could you not just remove the second lever and put back the nut with a plain washer in place of the lever?

Quote from: Keta on November 15, 2012, 05:53:05 AM
Twice is better than none and you added some good info.  I also forgot what you told me about the 349HC being the double lever, the 2 I got at the Klamath Falls Goodwill were double lever and the box said 349HC.  I've been thinking about a way to disable the second lever with out changing hard to find parts.

I think I know where I can find some 349 metal washers as well as a pile of thin 349H ones.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Keta

That would work but I'm parinoid and was thinking about a eccentric that has no possability of disengaging the dog.  A minute on the belt sander would modify the factory 19-49 eccintric.  I have some SS 349 dogs without the spurr too.

Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Makule on November 16, 2012, 04:12:13 AM
Could you not just remove the second lever and put back the nut with a plain washer in place of the lever?

Yes, but I like a neat uncluttered look and bought some single lever sideplates for a good price.
viurem lliures o morirem