Removing the drag washer on an SX 5.3:1

Started by Bucktail, November 14, 2012, 05:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

I am trying to remove the carbon fiber washer in this reel but it doesn't seem to want to come out.  I have tried prying it with a screwdriver but I have only succeeded in tearing it up on the edges.  In Alan's tutorial it seems to come out easily.  What am I doing wrong? ???

Note:  The tutorial shows a retaining ring.  This reel does have have a retaining ring.  Could it be glued on?
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

it's glued on!!!!!!!!!!  you have to just slap a thick coat of grease on it, make sure you get all the edges, and call it done. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: alantani on November 14, 2012, 07:41:59 PM
it's glued on!!!!!!!!!!  you have to just slap a thick coat of grease on it, make sure you get all the edges, and call it done. 

crud, you have a retaining ring.  you're certain?  ok, then it's not glued on.  you're sure it has a retaining ring?  that must mean that it is totally corroded onto the spool.  get a chisel if you have to, then call avet for a new drag washer.  you're sure about the retaining ring?

Bucktail

Sorry for the confusion.  I wrote "This reel does have have a retaining ring."  But I meant to write "This reel does NOT have a retaining ring."  So I guess it's what you said first huh?  It's glued on?  Doesn't seem very convenient.  What is the purpose of that?
Just a jig-a-lo

Keta

Glued on drag washers is what caused me to quit buying Avet reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

AJ

The glued on drags are an attempt to stop salt water from getting between the spool and the washer, which can cause corrosion.  It works better if you put a little grease around the edge of the drag washer.  This keeps water out if the glue, it works but is not perfect.

alantani

Bucktail

I didn't do too much damage to it.  I think it will be OK.  I will just grease it up with some Shimano drag grease, as Alan and AJ suggested, and leave it at that.

Thanks again for the help guys! 8)
Just a jig-a-lo