Sealine 450H drag washers

Started by keyshunter, November 16, 2012, 05:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyshunter

When i had my 450h apart I noted that the fiber drag washers, which were light brown in color, appeared to have been greased. I wondered if this was done by design, or if they had just been handled by a greasy fingered  assembler. I bought the reel new. It has had light use and has never been apart before. I added a bit of Cal's to the washers, figuring that it couldn't hurt anything.  Could it? The drag does seem to be pretty smooth so far.

I use this reel for bottom fishing with heavy mono. I keep the star turned all the way in without hammering on it. If I change the drag stack to HT-100's as in Alan's tutorial, can I expect a heavier drag?

Incidentally, I found this reel to me more beginner service friendly than my 113h. The c-clips on the clutch springs, and the setup with the dog and dog spring made it easier for someone who is really inexperienced at servicing reels.

Bryan Young

At the current, if you were to only stack the HTs where you have an effectively 3+1 drag stack, you will have essentially the same drag pressure.  it will be smoother though.  I'll be working with Lee to have some metal washers cut for a 5+1 stack in the next few months if you can wait.  It will increase your drag pressure slightly.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

keyshunter

Thanks Bryan,
I can certainly wait. Please post when the new washers are ready.

Mike La Franchie

I followed the procedure listed here

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4783.0

For my 400h I bought extra one eared and one keyed washer from daiwa.

I bought 5 carbontex no.33 and a no. 13b for under the gear.

Installed a 5+1 washer set.

The set fit ok.

However only increased drag from 5kg to 7kg.

I wonder if the under gear washer I used was too thin...
I only fish on days ending with Y

RowdyW

Mike, try a Penn 6-855 under the main gear. I use that with #42 CF from Dawn. They just need a little ID work to fit. I don't know if you have the ring in the bottom of the main gear, but if you do grind or mill it out for more surface area. Rudy