Penn 114 handle screw 23-116 is stuck.

Started by JNP, November 16, 2012, 06:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JNP

Hello everybody.
Today I decided to open and relube my old black 114.
When I tried to unscrew the handle screw 23-116 it was impossible.
It is stuck on the handle ,no turn at all.
I put force by hand but nothing.
I used a hummer on the Penn key nothing again.
Please any other idea to try?
Thanks,John.

Keta

First try getting a good hold in it with a pair of Vice Grips, if that does not work drill it out with a drill bit smaller than the minor diameter of the screw, you might end up replacing the handle if you don't get it dead center.  A LH drill bit would be better than a RH one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JNP

Quote from: Keta on November 16, 2012, 06:27:30 PM
First try getting a good hold in it with a pair of Vice Grips, if that does not work drill it out with a drill bit smaller than the minor diameter of the screw, you might end up replacing the handle if you don't get it dead center.  A LH drill bit would be better than a RH one.
Thank you Lee.
The last think I will do is to carry a cat by the tail.John.

Keta

Me too, our cats are all tough barn cats and they know what claws and teeth are for.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

The master wrench form Alan might do the job :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Funny Alan, we posted at the same time. Great minds think alike  ;)....don't add anything to it ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joel.B

let it soak with a good penetrating fluid like break-free or pb blaster etc.....Kroil...if you have a palm-sander, take the bare rubber surface and hold it tight against the screw and turn it on and let it work for a while. DOnt get any oils on your sander.

JNP

Thank you all.
1) I cleaned the handle screw with carb cleaner.
2) I soaked it with Loktite 8018 penetration fluid
    for a couple of hours.
3) I held the handle firmly with my bench clamp.
4) I put the Penn wrench in a tube 8 in long.
    And finally the torque was able to unscrew it.
End of the story.John

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Glad to hear it worked out for you.
I would still purchase one of those wrenches mentioned above, it will make a world of difference.
Sal

JNP

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 17, 2012, 07:02:03 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for you.
I would still purchase one of those wrenches mentioned above, it will make a world of difference.
Sal
Next time when I buy anything from Alan this powerful wrench will come to Greece.

Alto Mare

Great! Just keep in mind that we also customize wrenches ;):

BEFORE

AFTER

;D

JNP

Sal, this is not a wrench any more, this is a jewel! John

Alto Mare

;D ;D
John,I needed a clean slate so Alan could engrave his name on it ;)