114H Help Needed

Started by parlor, November 17, 2012, 02:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parlor

Please be patient, I'm a sailor who's learning to fish so I might get a few terms wrong...

3 years ago I helped my F-I-L buy a catamaran and take it down from Florida to the Caribbean. In a previous life I had been a chef and had accidentally let slip that I could make sushi, so he was kind enough to buy me a Senator Slammer and 114H (6/0 full frame). Previously I had done a ton of fly fishing on super light gear, biggest fish I had caught was a 4lb trout, all that changed and "I'm hooked."

First fish I caught (picture <<) managed to break the "little nubs" on the plate where the Click Spring is seated.

As you can see in the picture I managed to put a couple of self-tappers in there. It held pretty well despite chipping the plate slightly.

In my excitement of catching a fish I didn't disengage the clicker and I wondered if that was a reason that it broke?? The smaller flat head screw is original. I've ordered a new plate - is there anything I can do to re-inforce this area or was it bad luck / user error that it broke on the first reel?

That year I went on to catch a beautiful wahoo and several black fins. No worries.

Two years ago I spent 4 weeks down there and caught a few black fins. The second fish broke the click tongue, I did a number of things to improvise something to make a noise but generally they wore down very quickly. I went in around 10 fishing shops all over the islands looking for spares and only once found any -  the whole plate for $100 which I thought I was pretty steep - Island Pricing!! - the reel new was around that price.

Last year another 3 week trip. Fish one snapped the click spring.  >:( and still no spares to be found (on the islands anyway). And once back at work I never got round to ordering the parts I needed.

I know my repairs didn't help but I had a pretty low opinion of Penn by now. So I picked up a Okuma Classic XT. On the way from St Lucia to Grenada not a single bite. When we left Grenada I put my faithful cedar plug in... boom! fish on!... marlin!!! holy smokes! in fact there was smoke... I was trying to get set up to fight the fish and the drag just started to melt, after 20 minutes of trying to do something we had to cut the line. I was pretty gutted, the fish broached twice but no photos.

This year I will be back down over Christmas, last year I actually remembered to bring the Penn back with me. I was thinking I needed to drop a load of $$$ on a fancy reel but I couldn't justify it and then I found you guys and my faith has been restored!

I've ordered a new plate and a few spare click tongues / springs just in case but I have a few questions to see if I there are any other upgrades I should be doing.

Firstly, does this pinion look OK? I can't tell if it's worn or meant to be like that - looking at the interface on the spool it looks like it should be angled and not completely square (hope that makes sense.) ie. the faces are not flat, they are angled / recessed.

This reel probably only has 10-12 fish on it, the drag washers all look pretty good - I think?

I don't know if I need any more drag that this reel has. I think the Marlin was a freak catch. This year I will be around St Marteen / Antigua maybe BVI but probably not too far South, we normally only catch black fins. When we're down there I'm there to sail, the fishing is an amazing bonus! We're normally doing anywhere between 6-12 knts which I know isn't ideal trolling speeds and I only ever have one rod set up if that helps.

Is there a tutorial for general maintenance? I searched but couldn't find it. I need quite basic help too, like do I grease the drag washers? Does the dog just stop the handle from rotating the wrong way?

Budget is tight but I love tinkering so let me know what you guys think!!

alantani

i'll tell you what i think.  i think you should take us fishing with you!!!!!!!!

now, about the reel.  you need a #6-114 penn drag washer to go under the main gear.  you also need some cal's grease to coat the drag washers.  see how well the pinion gear locks over the shoulders of the spool shaft.  you could have damage to either the spool shaft or the pinion gear, but from the photo it looks like the pinion gear will hold.  you need new clicker parts.  a stainless steel gear sleeve is nice, but expensive.  check the fit of your handle and see if there is alot of wobble.  a big handle grip is also nice.  there are some in the "for sale" section.  here is the tutorial for your reel. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=208.0

and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

You didn't do anything wrong Gavin, it could have been a few things. Do you disengage the clicker when fighting a fish? Anyway these are the parts that you will need, I usually purchase them here:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn114h.aspx
The parts are: 35-114 / 36-114H / 62-114 / 63-209 / 69-600,honestly, since you've drilled it, I would purchase the complete left plate. The parts will from Scotts will cost you @ $12 shipped, a used plate that is available now on ebay will cost you $14, there are also new plates there for around $19. Good luck.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 17, 2012, 09:29:30 AM
Do you disengage the clicker when fighting a fish?

You should disengage the clicker when you are reeling in line or have a fish on.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

parlor

Ahhhh. So I finally found time to pick up the parts.

The new non-handle side, on the left, won't fit the old ball bearings in!

Looks like I need #40 to fit the new plate? Anyway to make this work with the old parts?

"Old"plate is date stamped '04, new one is '92 if that helps.

ShoreKasterHI

Quote from: parlor on December 06, 2012, 10:06:58 PM
Ahhhh. So I finally found time to pick up the parts.

The new non-handle side, on the left, won't fit the old ball bearings in!

Looks like I need #40 to fit the new plate? Anyway to make this work with the old parts?

"Old"plate is date stamped '04, new one is '92 if that helps.

I believe that the plate on the left is the older style, so your gonna need a older ball bearing cup. I thought i had one but turns out to be the newer style.

*The part your looking for is 40-114h*

Cone

The cup with the bearing is available at scott's bait and tackle. 40-114h old style without the o ring.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn114H.aspx
If I had a spare I would give you one. Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dominick

I would just fill that hole with J-B Weld.  When cured sand it down and paint it to match.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

i took a look as well, no matches.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Looks like you need part #40-114H as Cone said above, this bearing comes without the o-ring.
Part #40-114HL comes with the o-ring.
You'll get your choices here:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/40-114H.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.