New Accurate Fury single-drag reels

Started by TwistedCustomRods, November 23, 2012, 06:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Ok, had to pick up a #6 Torx bit (edit: #7 Torx is the best size) to crack her open so here is a first look at the pertinent innards:

Below is the Dog System. Very simple:

Note that they are "symmetrically" positioned so they should engage at the same time. This is extremely reliable but produces a bit more handle "slop" than the "synchronized" triple dogs of the DPX2 series.

This is the triple system below. Note how the dogs are in more random positions than the above image so that only one dog carries the load at a time. Much less slop this way. Maybe we can get Accurate to do this in the single speed model? :)

Below is the main gear and shaft with a large teflon bushing. It measures 14mm x 20mm x 24mm. It should be easily replaced like Alan did with a single or dual AR Bearing that would have to be pressed in.

I'll put one on order and see if I can get it pressed in there. No reason why it shouldn't work and produce an extremely good vertical jigging reel for just over $300.

best

alantani

thanks for the photos.  so, john, was that a number 6 torx or a number 7?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on January 27, 2013, 02:45:09 PM
thanks for the photos.  so, john, was that a number 6 torx or a number 7?

It was a 6. The 7 goes in, but seems shallow and might strip so I went with the 6 and removed them with no worries. I've never used Torx before and not sure if you should go with the biggest one that fits or the smaller...??

Question: Alan, do you have that 14 x 20 x 26mm AR bearing for sale or should I get it from Boca?

That one plus the smallest spacer/bushing should fit the reel perfectly.

best

ps. I double checked and the #7 torx is in fact the better choice.

alantani

got the AR bearing.  send me an email with your address and i will send it out.  also, for the torx, i've found it best to grind down the bit to a long taper so that it fits into the recessed hole. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

email sent Alan :).

Did some drag testing on the reel. I did some straight pull testing and it was about 9 strike and 18 full with free spool. Put it on a rod and got ~12lb dead lift at strike and ~25lbs dead lift at full. More than enough for the line class that this reel will hold. :).

mitchman

Good to see the wheels are in motion on this project  ;D 

Alan - have you ever heard of the the 'anti-reverse bearing seal kit' that is offered by Decoro Fishing Tackle of NZ? Apparently they file down one of the washers for the bearing to install a gasket/seal which prevents saltwater intrusion to the ARB and makes it last a lot longer. Apparently it works so well Accurate might be adopting it  :o

johndtuttle

Quote from: mitchman on January 29, 2013, 09:32:53 PM
Good to see the wheels are in motion on this project  ;D 

Alan - have you ever heard of the the 'anti-reverse bearing seal kit' that is offered by Decoro Fishing Tackle of NZ? Apparently they file down one of the washers for the bearing to install a gasket/seal which prevents saltwater intrusion to the ARB and makes it last a lot longer. Apparently it works so well Accurate might be adopting it  :o

If you look at the above photo of the Drive gear mitch I think you might see what Accurate is doing. On there is a wafer thin teflon washer that seals the bottom of the shaft. As well, they use one at the top under the handle, in years past it was a simple metal washer.

I'm looking for confirmation of whether this is the intent at the moment as this area is essentially "open" given that the gear cover is not remotely a seal, it has a hole in it besides, and of course the spool will leak like a sieve any time it receives salt spray or even gentle hosing down.

best

jonathan.han

The washer is there to allow the gear to move and slide when in contact between the gear and the spacer. Its purpose is to prevent the spacer and the side of the main gear from rubbing creating jerkiness or hesitation upon inertial startup. Think of it as a thrust bearing on a lesser scale. In most other designs, such as Avet, Shimano, Daiwas, etc.., there is usually 2 bearings which support the driveshaft or a bushing. If you look at it, it was a very cost-effective design. The washers were added to alleviate some rubbing or binding issues which arose.

A sealed ARB would seem good until the seal breaks. What kind of world would it be if Accurate used SS ARBs...?
raw instinct

johndtuttle

Quote from: jonathan.han on January 30, 2013, 01:29:07 AM
The washer is there to allow the gear to move and slide when in contact between the gear and the spacer. Its purpose is to prevent the spacer and the side of the main gear from rubbing creating jerkiness or hesitation upon inertial startup. Think of it as a thrust bearing on a lesser scale. In most other designs, such as Avet, Shimano, Daiwas, etc.., there is usually 2 bearings which support the driveshaft or a bushing. If you look at it, it was a very cost-effective design. The washers were added to alleviate some rubbing or binding issues which arose.

A sealed ARB would seem good until the seal breaks. What kind of world would it be if Accurate used SS ARBs...?

Yep, I contacted Kane and he is meeting with Accurate to pitch them on incorporating his idea into their production. I took a wild guess and missed the mark.

Well, the good news is that Boca Bearings will probably stock the 14 x 20 x16 SS AR bearing for the foreseeable future so that is always a possibility to switch them out with a little ingenuity.

It's may be a case of simply being resistant to change versus perhaps an acknowledgement that if water gets in there and is not cleaned out it doesn't matter what material you use whether stainless or not.

We just have to keep pushing as they seem to be incorporating new good ideas in the current offerings.

jonathan.han

In no way was I being negative about the design. I was in the prototyping field for a short period and I actually think it is a solid system. No metal. No problems. One of the few accurates I may consider buying for fun and anodize it purple for a 25lb rod. I think for a dedicated jigging reel, I would stick with Toriums and Trinis if you needed instant AR. I don't value ARBs in jigging applications. It was hard enough to get Accurate to omit the ARBs, now people want them back in. Shimano started the instant AR system a long time ago. They called it "Super Stopper" and Super Stopper II . This was early 90's (?). It does, however, give a feeling of stoutness.
raw instinct

johndtuttle

Quote from: jonathan.han on February 02, 2013, 10:03:25 AM
In no way was I being negative about the design. I was in the prototyping field for a short period and I actually think it is a solid system. No metal. No problems. One of the few accurates I may consider buying for fun and anodize it purple for a 25lb rod. I think for a dedicated jigging reel, I would stick with Toriums and Trinis if you needed instant AR. I don't value ARBs in jigging applications. It was hard enough to get Accurate to omit the ARBs, now people want them back in. Shimano started the instant AR system a long time ago. They called it "Super Stopper" and Super Stopper II . This was early 90's (?). It does, however, give a feeling of stoutness.

I think there are advocates of all of the different options. Technically speaking there is no need for AR bearings at all on fishing reels as mechanical dogs are more than reliable. However, dog only reels are annoying to some for fishing artificial lures that benefit from erratic retrieves. The random "ka-chunk" you get and handle slop is an issue. Notice all fresh water reels above the very lowest price points have instant anti-reverse.

What was hard was getting Accurate, not to omit AR bearings per se, but to back them up to make them truly reliable. Now, the "stock" configuration of the Fury and the Dawg series omit them (probably for cost considerations). Accurate will press in an AR bearing in the Dawg series (per report) if requested but have no plans to offer that for the Fury at this time (per email with Accurate).

This is a quest to have whatever the Angler considers the "best of all worlds" for his fishing :).

ps UPDATE Accurate will add AR bearings to Fury reels in their factory.