New Accurate Fury single-drag reels

Started by TwistedCustomRods, November 23, 2012, 06:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwistedCustomRods

Copy/pasted from bloody decks.

Accurate Fishing Products, originator of the patented TwinDrag reels, is launching a new single-drag reel featuring the same quality Accurate is known for, but a smaller price point.
The Accurate Boss Fury will be available in a single-speed configuration offering either a 4.1:1 or 6.1:1 gear ratio to meet the needs of anglers hunting down their local big game. The Boss Fury will also be offered in two-speed models featuring a 3.1:1 low and a 6.1:1 high speed in the 400 and 500 models, and a 2.2:1 low and 5.1:1 high in the 600 model. These larger reels will take on any fish you throw at them, whether it's a stout grouper holding to the bottom or a yellowfin tuna that takes you the rail.
These new lever-drag reels, like their counterparts, are made of 6061 T6 billet aircraft aluminum to reduce weight and add strength. They feature a very simplistic design with stainless steel gears, wet drag for smoothness, and an ergonomic rubber handle that fits perfectly in your hand. The lightweight reels are both comfortable and extremely easy to fish with. The Fury also has the same good looks as all Accurate reels and comes with a brushed aluminum finish.
According to Accurate, the company has wanted to offer an introductory reel for some time ''" a reel that would meet the needs of a wide range of fishing situations without a huge price tag. "People enter the market with a single drag purchase. Then as they gain confidence fishing they look for better tackle which leads them to a twin-drag reel," says Accurate's VP of Sales and Marketing Ben Secrest. "We have been working towards developing a quality single drag for them to purchase directly from Accurate. This gives the customer a starting point with our brand, which in the past they could not afford."
The Accurate Boss Fury is priced $150 less than anything the company currently sells.
The Fury reels (both single and two-speed) will be available in 400X, 500X and 600X sizes. The 400 is rated for 40-pound braid, the 500 for 50-pound and the 600 for 60-pound. While they were constructed primarily for fishing with braid, they work fine with monofilament as well.

The reel was named through Accurate's "Name Our Reel" contest. The winner, Ron Bryan, came up with "The Boss Fury by Accurate," which will be engraved on every reel. The contest gathered 1,200 potential names but Ron's Fury won out, and he will receive the first reel off the assembly line and the company will engrave his name on it.
Line Capacity:
400X = 300 yards 20-pound mono, 400 yards 40-pound braid
500X = 300 yards 25-pound mono, 425 yards 50-pound braid
600X = 300 yards 40-pound mono, 450 yards 65-pound braid
Accurate's Boss Fury was designed with fishermen needs in mind. If you're chasing bullet tuna, schoolie dorado or trying to catch your first white seabass, the single-drag Fury will meet your fishing needs at an affordable price.
To check out the Boss Fury line of reels visit your local Accurate Dealer or go to www.accuratefishing.com. You can also find them on Facebook and YouTube.
Need a new rod? Why not get a custom rod made for where you fish, how you fish, all the while fitting your personal style!?  http://www.twistedcustomrods.com

ScupperSkipper

I heard a rumor that there is also a 600XN (narrow) Anyone know?
What does Allen initially think of these reels? I am thinking Christmas gift to myself
for a 40# seabass rig...

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mitchman

Since these reels only have dogs I am wondering if an antireverse bearing would fit in the handle to minimize any backplay for jigging? I wonder if these reels would benefit from sleeving as well? Might have to get one and find out!

alantani

just from the photo, it looks like an AR bearing (or two) would fit. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Any more info on them?

1. Are they tripled, double or single dogged?

2, Do they have a rt side thrust bearing? Or are they born bearing wreckers like Avets?

inquiring minds want to know... ;D

rx7240sx

i know they have double dogs not sure about the bearing

Bryan Young

These reels probably have a pull drag system like their twin drags with one less drag. I have seen much less pinion Bearing  failures With this type of drag system. Pinion bearing failures are more common in a push system.

What is a push system versus a pull system? Essentially push system pushes the pressure plate against the drag medium. Pull system differs in that it pulls the spool towards the pressure plate or the pressure plate towards the drag medium
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 15, 2012, 04:48:41 PM
These reels probably have a pull drag system like their twin drags with one less drag. I have seen much less pinion Bearing  failures With this type of drag system. Pinion bearing failures are more common in a push system.

What is a push system versus a pull system? Essentially push system pushes the pressure plate against the drag medium. Pull system differs in that it pulls the spool towards the pressure plate or the pressure plate towards the drag medium

Thanks for that Bryan.

I'm gonna see if I can finagle picking one up for a look see :).

akfish

I just looked at and popped open a Fury 400X. A couple very quick first impressions: Its finish will take some getting used to and not everyone will like it. The frame is brushed aluminum and not nearly as smooth or shiny as other Accurates. I suspect it is just as durable but may pick up fish scales a bit easier. Inside, it looks like most lever drag reels: A simple, utilitarian design with the single drag washer on the spool. When put in gear, the spool moves towards to right to meet the pressure plate and apply drag just like a TLD, etc. The reel I looked at had been greased heavily with Cal's. It cranks smoothly but the free spool isn't what I'd expect, although if I were to remove the spool bearing shields I suspect the free spool would improve. I haven't filled it with line so I can't check the drag but from all accounts it should generate about 20# -- more than enough for a reel this size. I think it's probably a good reel for the price.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mitchman

Fit n finish doesn't bother me especially for the price. Interesting to hear that the reel has the push drag system. I wonder in the end if the drag is really much different than an Avet drag system (aside from dry drag issue) and if they worth the extra $$$?

johndtuttle

Quote from: mitchman on December 20, 2012, 09:52:47 PM
Fit n finish doesn't bother me especially for the price. Interesting to hear that the reel has the push drag system. I wonder in the end if the drag is really much different than an Avet drag system (aside from dry drag issue) and if they worth the extra $$$?

You can feel handle pressure on an Avet once you get above their pathetic 9lbs at strike. This might make for an acceptable reel for fishing baits/lures near the surface but a rat yellow at the bottom can pull that....consequently Avets are useless for anything that swims near structure.

If you can set strike to 20lbs on the Boss Fury and not be damaging your bearing in the process then it just may be the way to go for a USA made jigging reel. :)

mitchman

Quote from: johndtuttle on December 21, 2012, 02:37:20 AM
Quote from: mitchman on December 20, 2012, 09:52:47 PM

You can feel handle pressure on an Avet once you get above their pathetic 9lbs at strike. This might make for an acceptable reel for fishing baits/lures near the surface but a rat yellow at the bottom can pull that....consequently Avets are useless for anything that swims near structure.

If you can set strike to 20lbs on the Boss Fury and not be damaging your bearing in the process then it just may be the way to go for a USA made jigging reel. :)

I guess it depends which model Avets we are comparing since 9lbs at strike is definitely true for the SX/MX series. The JX/LX get more drag (~15lbs), but not 20lbs at strike. I think this series hast he potential to be a USA winner.

basto

I looked at the 600 narrow today.Great to see you can get them in 4:1 gear ratio. That is becoming a rare thing in reels today...everything seems to be 6;1.
The very small size of the sideplate screws intrigues me???
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

johndtuttle

Hey there boyos,

Fed-ex just dropped this off and I thought I would give you a sneak peak:

Boss Fury 500N 4:1 retrieve or 28" per crank. Made in USA Baby!

It's a perfect handful and should easily handle 300yards of ~60lb Braid as it is listed as being able to handle nearly 400yards of 50lb. Spool is only a thumb's width wide:

Normally I don't use a reel clamp but this one actually feels pretty dang good as a trigger:

It's much smaller than a Daiwa 30T, more like a Shimano 16N size. Perfect for fishing PE4/60lb braid for reef donkeys. The photos make it look far larger than it is.

I'm going to do a full tear down to look at the insides and will do a "service tutorial" so that the DiY crowd will have a future reference.

As well, I'll try and investigate how this reel may perform for vertical jigging and what mods the intrepid may attempt to if they are of a mind to super tune it :). Free spool is excellent out of the box. I don't think anyone would find it other than excellent for standard bait fishing or SoCal iron.

best regards