Really? A waterproof reel?

Started by sinkerswim, November 24, 2012, 03:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beachbob

"waterproof" and "reel" shouldn't be in the same sentence,  no such thing.  "water resistant" at best.  guys skishing with van staal and zbass reels know better, too.
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

dobrobill

Lets see, sell my collection and maybe get 2 Zebco china made reels and one Penn made by a Brit that cheats during Marithons so who knows what he is really selling. That kind of stuff may be okay with the right quality control but I find most china metal soft. I think I have had one reel since the late 60's hit the sand and mostly I surf and pier fish when salt water fishing. Even fished off a back porch in Nags head when the erosion took the beach away during a huricane. Any way I might try one if the cost was 1/3 of what it is else I'll stick to American made junk.

Keta

I prefer to buy my gear from other countries than the PRC but I have seen several quality reels built there.  Poor or inconsistant QC is still a problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Quote from: dobrobill on November 26, 2012, 03:24:59 PM
Lets see, sell my collection and maybe get 2 Zebco china made reels and one Penn made by a Brit that cheats during Marithons so who knows what he is really selling. That kind of stuff may be okay with the right quality control but I find most china metal soft. I think I have had one reel since the late 60's hit the sand and mostly I surf and pier fish when salt water fishing. Even fished off a back porch in Nags head when the erosion took the beach away during a huricane. Any way I might try one if the cost was 1/3 of what it is else I'll stick to American made junk.
I agree on the soft metal. Please tell us more about the cheating Brit and his Penn,I may even know him. ;D ;D

dobrobill

Alto Mare

Looks like we're headed in the direction that I mentioned at the very top.... a Zip-lock bag ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 24, 2012, 05:32:23 PM
The idea being that from shore you can see the fish and birds working but you can't reach them. Well, just swim out to them and the wet suit provides buoyancy and you are in business. :)
AND THEN A GW COMES BY AND TAKES OFF YOUR LEGS RAAAAAAAHHH :D  :D :D AND THEN YOU LAY THERE LIKE  ??? SLOWLY BLEEDING OUT :o And thats why these guys just need to learn how to cast further ;D
Grayson Lanier

dobrobill

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on November 27, 2012, 02:48:55 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on November 24, 2012, 05:32:23 PM
The idea being that from shore you can see the fish and birds working but you can't reach them. Well, just swim out to them and the wet suit provides buoyancy and you are in business. :)
AND THEN A GW COMES BY AND TAKES OFF YOUR LEGS RAAAAAAAHHH :D  :D :D AND THEN YOU LAY THERE LIKE  ??? SLOWLY BLEEDING OUT :o And thats why these guys just need to learn how to cast further ;D

Well put, I was thinking it, but left it alone.... I don't ever want to be up to my chest off any beach...

Nuvole

Quote from: Keta on November 26, 2012, 04:47:06 PM
I prefer to buy my gear from other countries than the PRC but I have seen several quality reels built there.  Poor or inconsistant QC is still a problem.

+1