Really? A waterproof reel?

Started by sinkerswim, November 24, 2012, 03:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

Hi Guys,

On a NJ fishing web site there is a guy looking to get a waterproof spinning reel. He listed a couple which the manufacturers claim "waterproof". He is inquiring input b4 he makes a purchase. IMHO he wants "one" reel to perform the duties of at least three. That left aside. Is there a really waterproof reel made? I don't believe there is. I always thought that it is one of those ever elusive things, man flying without any outside help, cars that run on water or air, a better mousetrap. When these riddles are solved and a true waterproof reel is made what could possibly be left to invent?

Is there a "waterproof" reel made, not water resistant, "waterproof"?

Alto Mare

Yes, but you need to place it in a Zip-lock bag first. :-\
I'm sure you're going to hear different, some of the names you will hear will be Van-staal, Zeebaas, Stella...just to name a couple. I personally don't believe it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nuvole

The term "waterproof" can be perspective, equipment that can go into the water down a few inches can be rated "waterproof". I work in the hydrographic survey field and deal with loads of submersible equipment that have rating more than 3000m. Waterproof itself is not rocket science, One can easily modify the reel by adding a nibble for the grease gun, pump enough grease to remove all air pocket, and there you go its waterproof.

johndtuttle

Penn Torque, Van Staal, Zee Bass are all designed for people who "skish" which means they swim with their rods and reels and fish while floating in the ocean in a wetsuit. This has been going on for many, many years with the reels cranked when underwater and fish landed (ie drag taken which is a real test of waterprrofness) and the reels are demonstrated to be water proof.

The Torque is the relative newcomer, but VS and ZB are totally proven. It's done like this:

The idea being that from shore you can see the fish and birds working but you can't reach them. Well, just swim out to them and the wet suit provides buoyancy and you are in business. :)

Alto Mare

I could also fish like that with my SS spinner for a little while, the problem with it is when I get home. If I don't take it completely apart it will be gone. I would love to get my hands on that Van-Staal after that session and see for myself during the next day or so.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sinkerswim

Quote from: Nuvole on November 24, 2012, 04:45:42 PM
The term "waterproof" can be perspective, equipment that can go into the water down a few inches can be rated "waterproof". I work in the hydrographic survey field and deal with loads of submersible equipment that have rating more than 3000m. Waterproof itself is not rocket science, One can easily modify the reel by adding a nibble for the grease gun, pump enough grease to remove all air pocket, and there you go its waterproof.
Loading a reel with grease might make it waterproof, but then you'd certainly be sacrificing function.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 24, 2012, 05:59:38 PM
I could also fish like that with my SS spinner for a little while, the problem with it is when I get home. If I don't take it completely apart it will be gone. I would love to get my hands on that Van-Staal after that session and see for myself during the next day or so.

Van Staal has a policy that you have to service the reel annually or the warranty was void (anyways, I think that is still the case). So once a year was good enough. They are oil filled on the other side of the seals I believe.

Like anything else I'm sure they had their share of failures but they have a huge following among the east coast striper crowd.

Cone

The shimano stella and the Daiwa Dogfight and Catalina are supposed to be sealed reels also. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Nessie Hunter

LOL at the video..  Cool as heck..     ;D

Guy Needs a Float Tube (like me)...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

sinkerswim

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 24, 2012, 06:37:38 PM

Van Staal has a policy that you have to service the reel annually or the warranty was void (anyways, I think that is still the case). So once a year was good enough. They are oil filled on the other side of the seals I believe.

Like anything else I'm sure they had their share of failures but they have a huge following among the east coast striper crowd.
I'm with Sal on this one. Yes, the aforementioned reels have their huge legion of devoted followers. But, do we have any long term studies by some reel junkies who actually fish and repair their own. I can't chime in on this one. There is just no way I could buy any of those reels and remain married.

day0ne

Quote from: sinkerswim on November 24, 2012, 08:33:39 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on November 24, 2012, 06:37:38 PM

I'm with Sal on this one. Yes, the aforementioned reels have their huge legion of devoted followers. But, do we have any long term studies by some reel junkies who actually fish and repair their own. I can't chime in on this one. There is just no way I could buy any of those reels and remain married.

Read the commentary under the film clip on You Tube. The guy states he has been using one Van Staal for skishing since 1995. Is that long term enough?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

johndtuttle

Yea, Van Staal has been around for like 20 years plus with continual refinement. It's completely proven.

I am no VS Historian, but pretty sure the designer left to form Zee Bass, which is rumored to be moving production *back* to the USA. Some prefer the more refined Zee Bass but I have never even held one in my hands.

Penn Torque has only been out a year or two, but people are swimming with them and reporting no problems.

The other "super spinners" are sealed like Stellas and Saltigas, but people have enough sense to not swim with them if it can be avoided. They are waterproof for the massive amounts of spray and splashes you can get on a boat, but not truly "fish while submerged" designs which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish due the added forces that cranking and fish pulling drag put on the seals when used while the reel is under water.

Rare

I have the Penn torque 5 spinner and removed all the water waterproof feature to make it smooth for jigging here. It really is smooth now cause of it making jigging better for me.

How about this guy?  ;D

whalebreath

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 25, 2012, 01:57:12 AM
Here's a Zee Bass in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr5slfPYpV0&feature=autoplay&list=UUcdm2o9ggNaFzXclL0_HRlg&playnext=3
I would have never believed that unless I saw it-plus in both those videos even the water they use to wash the sand off is full of sand!  :o