Looking for some help.

Started by Ron Jones, November 24, 2012, 09:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I was at 5O7S today and asked for Carbontex washers for my girls Penn 85s. I was handed a packet that listed both the 112H/500 and the Penn 185. All the reels listed use the small gear sleeve, but the outer diameter is totally different. The 500 gear is almost twice the diameter of the 155 gear that is in the 85/185. If I were to buy these for my 112H, it seems like the void created would be able to fill with sea water and other ugly stuff. Do Carbontex drags not come in different outer diameters?

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

akfish

The 85 takes the same drag washers as the Squidder 140. The Penn part number is 006 060.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

The 85 has a 5-60 main gear, the 185 has a 5-185 main gear.  The 85 (like AK posted) takes a 6-60 CF washer, the 185 takes a 6-309 CF drag washer, the same as the 112H and 500.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

IDK,

I have a 112H (500) main gear, an 85 (looks like a 155) main gear and a 113 (60) main gear in the garage right now and they are all three different. I guess the diameter of the 112H and the 113 are similar, but the 85s main gear is way smaller. I just set up Photobucket and will get some pictures up.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Ron
If your 85 has a -155 sized gear, we'd all like to see that.  Penn DID assemble some of their early reels with different parts.  For example, I have a surfmaster with the smaller -155 gear, too.  Post some photos.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Dawn

I have the 500, 140 and 155 sized washers, all different outside diameters.  So whatever your reel has in there, should be able to find the right one.

Dawn
Dawn

Ron Jones

Thanks Dawn,
I am still looking for 1 more chrome spool and then I'll tear into these guys again and figure it out.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on November 29, 2012, 09:02:35 PM
Thanks Dawn,
I am still looking for 1 more chrome spool and then I'll tear into these guys again and figure it out.

Ron

The only one of these spools I have left is either warped or it has a bent shaft.  I hope your girls enjoy the reels.  I just put a new aluminum spool in a 60 and it works well.

Back to odd parts in Penn reels, I took apart a 60 to see if the SS dog worked and it had a 99 dog in it!  D'oh! when did Penn do that.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Believe it or not Lee the 60 uses the 15-99 dog and 110 uses the 15-60 dog. Go figure.

dobrobill

Penn really did know how to make money without total re-invention.. Parts may be available for another 50 years....

Ron Jones

Lee,
I'm sure I will eventually upgrade to aluminum spools, but the girls will learn to cast with these reels and so I want to keep overspeed to a minimum.

I must have gotten my 180 and 85s mixed in my head, the girls 85s do in fact have 60 gears. Local shop don't have them, so I'll get the drags from Dawn.

I started this project to get the girls decent reels on the cheap, let's see:

Reel $13.00
Carbontex $10.00
SS Sleeve $20.00
113 handle and star $10.00 ish
Braid and top shot $25.00 (but I'd spend it on any reel.)

So, for $80.00 I have a reel that will hold an easy 8 pounds, has an all steel drive train, a world class drag and spooled with state of the art line. I don't think there's anything out there that can beat that. The rods were $30.00 a piece and I'm fortunate to have children that would enjoy these more than any video game. Thanks Alan, Lee and everyone, you've enabled me to give my kids a wonderful Christmas.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

George4741

Quote from: Keta on November 30, 2012, 11:42:15 PM

Back to odd parts in Penn reels, I took apart a 60 to see if the SS dog worked and it had a 99 dog in it!  D'oh! when did Penn do that.

I don't know, but I had a very old Longbeach 65 with a 15-60 style dog in it.  It was the version with the flat sideplates, not the newer concave ones.

Ron, it's good to see you getting your girls out there fishing.  Keep it up.  I tried to interest my daughter in fishing many years ago.  Now she is 30 and has no interest in the outdoors. 
viurem lliures o morirem