Maintenance for Makaira SE reels

Started by apnea blu, November 26, 2012, 09:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apnea blu

So I really like the features and appearance of the SE reels but many vendors are suggesting staying with standard gold reels due to greater maintenance requirements of the SE bearings. So what is the suggested maintenance. I would be using these 1-2/ month they will get regular salt spray and occasional dousing from waves on my small boat. These would be 30s with 100# braid and 80lb mono ~1/2-1/2.

Recommended maintenance SEII vs standard reel Makaira?

Also what about packing that open bearing with grease if I do not require the oil derived free spooling capability but want the other features? I was thinking this after reading the article on the MK50 teardown.

Thanks in advance,Carl

BTW I am looking to buy 2 MK30SEII if someone wants to part with theirs.

text 808-747-0138
kh7bb@yahoo.com

alantani

the open bearings of the newer reels are nice.  water can get into either types of bearings, but with the open bearings, at least water can get out.  you can buy the older gold reels and just send them in for warranty work when the shielded bearings fail because of water intrusion.  or get the newer reels and you might not have to deal with this issue at all.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

apnea blu

Thanks Alan, there seems to be a big push to sell the gold reels over SE. Maybe there is more margin compared to the SE reels for the retailers.

What did you think of grease vs oil in terms of maintenance.

I really appreciate that you still take the time to respond to every post. Your site is sort of a mecca.

Thanks, Carl

SoCalAngler

Carl,

The SE reels were developed in the most part for our Southern California long range fishing style. This is mainly a live bait fishery for the larger tuna when using the 20, 30 and 50 sized reels. A reel that offers very good free spool is key to getting bit, so it kind of depends on how you will mostly use the reels. The SE's would be good where you mostly use them for live bait fishing and sometimes trolling. Where as the non SE's may be a better match where trolling is the most common method of catching fish. Grease in the bearings will last longer where as oil in the spool bearings offers better free spool. You see it depends on your style of fishing if you may want SE or not. As far as the vendors you deal with it may be that they only inventory the gold reels because they don't sell enough SE's. It's alot of money to have 2 lines of pretty much the same reels so maybe they try to steer you in one direction because thats what they have. Depending on how much you use these reels will depend on how often you need to oil the bearings. With that said if you use a good oil one or two times a season should be good, maybe three times if your on the water a whole lot. Most people don't take care of their reels the way most of the people that come to this site do, so I could see there your vendors are comming from. But, since your here on this site I take it you may be servicing your reels or soon will be, so the oiling of some bearings should be no problem at all.

apnea blu

SoCal,

You are correct, I am new to, but completely comfortable with, maintaining and prepping my reels. I am happy to do a bit more maintenance in return for a more versatile (also better looking) reel. Both the gearing and the open top are big pluses for me. I did also see a concern voiced on another forum that the inside of the top bar on standard 30s is a bit sharp and can abrade the line inadvertently. Since I have two sons handling conventional reels for the first time I like to limit the opportunities for something to go wrong.
Really these are going to do double duty trolling while we look for fish and pitching baits once we find them. Here it is even up whether you raise a wahoo or a 100lb+ tuna (so I have been told).I have another thread tossing around reel sizes as I struggle to stay as light as possible while not getting completely schooled by the larger fish.

I agree on the SE vs standard (stock item) generally although I see it with vendors who I believe carry both. Certainly I have the experience that here the shops sell what they stock and I can empathize with that.

I am really happy to have found this site it has already given me a wealth of new information to consider.

Funny I read the article on the 50 tear down and then discovered SE reels, I was like wow, what a discovery... Then I realized those reels were practically born here.

Thanks again, Carl

SoCalAngler

Carl,
It sounds like you are fishing on private boats or charters with the "trolling and pitching" statement. This leaves you the option of chasing down truley big fish so for me I'd look closer at the SE 20's than the 30's. The 20's are lighter and topless, better for picthing baits. I'm not sure if the SE 30's have a crossbar but I know the gold MK 30 do. People here mostly fish the 20's for large tuna and for cow sized fish jump to the 50's which are also topless bypassing the 30's with the cross bars. On our west coast longe range style of fishing we do not have the option of chasing big fish as others may be hooked up as well and or you don't want loose the Alpha fishing spot on the grounds, also 20-25 guys cant fish while they chase down one persons fish. Thats why spectra lines are used so much in our chase for large tuna, we need all the yardage we can get sometimes.

Edit: I know this summer many places were back ordered on the SE reels. I'm not sure if this has been fixed yet, but it is hard to sell a reel if you can't get any from the manufacture. I guess they saw a bigger demand for these top shelf reel than they were ready for.

Normslanding

The Makaira 30SEa is topless. Most places they are out of stock. A 20 holds about 800 yds. of 100 lb. hollow Spectra, a 30 holds a bunch. For small
boats ( usually ) throwing small baits is not a big issue. So the 20 (gold, which is topless) would be a good choice. If you have to have a topless 30 , or just like the look of the SEa, then order the SEa. Good maintenance will serve you well on both the regular, and special edition models.

apnea blu

I definitely am going to get a pair of 20SEa. I am debating if I should get a a pair of 30SEa as my heavy set up for trolling Marlin. Maybe load them with 130 hollow and a 100lb top shot vs 100lb hollow and 80lb top shot on the 20s.

Thoughts?

alantani

i skipped the 30 and went from the 20 straight to the 50.....

JC Wileman

So, how often  / How many days-out-on-the-water should we re-TSI-301 them?/size]
See you out there!
JC Wileman
"Straight Up" - 32' Uniflite

alantani

just give them a spin.  if the freespool slows down enough to the point that you want to do something about it, then pull the spool and clean and dip the bearings again.  personally, i've been getting much more tolerant of slower reels lately!   ;D

JC Wileman

Quote from: alantani on December 06, 2012, 05:39:21 PM
just give them a spin.  if the freespool slows down enough to the point that you want to do something about it, then pull the spool and clean and dip the bearings again.  personally, i've been getting much more tolerant of slower reels lately!   ;D

Thanks, Alan.  Funny - if you think about it, an SE's freespool would have to slow down A LOT to just be at some of the other/non-Tani-ized reels' freespool.  Heck, even the gold Makaira freespools well out of the box. 
See you out there!
JC Wileman
"Straight Up" - 32' Uniflite

Bunnlevel Sharker

Is it true that they are making a 50 and possibly an 80sea? and will they have a crossbar and wide spool? Wide spool and cross bar would be nice for sharkin along with the gunmetal color ;D
Grayson Lanier