Saltiga SA20...Questions and Inputs Need

Started by Reelz, November 27, 2012, 05:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reelz

So I just purchased this reel from a fellow bloodydecker and opened it. I found 2 magnets attached to the left hand side of the plate as seen on the pix. I'm thinking its to prevent backlash. Anyone ever install one of these in there saltiga or reels? Also I found that its not ball bearing under the main shaft unlike SA30. Can I put bearing in there?  Just having trouble getting it out. Also the I installed the washer stack according to the instructions on the reel (Sa 15, 20, and 30) are the same and 30t and up are different are different (same as all saltist). Should I leave it the way it is or install it different (just like saltist stacks)? Whats better? Just curious.

I also added an extra O ring washer under collar A do give it earlier drag pressure as well as install extra smoothie drag on it (so total of 7 drags). This is how I did it:  Drive gear then--Smoothie--carbontex---key washer---carbontex---earned washer---carbontex---key washer---carbontex---eared washer---carbontex---Key Washer---0 ring---Collar A.  I can still pull drag on this reel even though its buttoned down before. But now its better. Did I do it right? Any recommendation? Thansk

alantani

the saltiga 20 is a small reel. are you getting 10 pounds of drag?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reelz

I'm pretty sure I'm getting more than 10 lbs. Haven't checked though, but its pretty tight and smooth when its fully buttoned down.

The drags are the same as my sa30. But my sa30 for some reason when fully buttoned down, I can't pull line on it at all. And I did the same exact thing to my sa30.

Reelz

Went out on a boat today and only brought this reel and bottom fished. Caught 8 lb sheephead and bunch of rock fish, sea perch, sculpin. Everything help up fine. Now I'm debating if I want to take it apart again and try to take out the drive shaft bushing and install a bearings on it.

johndtuttle

Bushings rather than bearings is an eternal debate. Bearings will mean more maintenance and cost, but my be *slightly* smoother performing under heaviest drag loads and casting (depending on location). If you can find a bearing the exact right size it might be fun to do.

If you are going to fish max drag commonly it may make a tiny difference. But there is a reason Daiwa has done it the way they have and many times, less is more.

I am more an advocate of replacing bearings with bushings when flexing and wear has been identified that are then spreading to other parts as the bushing fails. Until you identify a problem then only do it for fun.

Reelz

I encountered no problems at all. I have saltiga sa30 and that reel has a bearing in it, and feels so much smoother when your crank it. I'm thinking thats where the price difference comes into play when purchasing these reels. I have saltist reels and they have bearings instead of bushings, I would think they would put a bearing in saltiga instead since saltiga cost so much more.

As far as drag goes, my saltist reels also gets tighter sooner thats why I fixed the drag issue. Its still smooth when fish takes line. But I'm still confused on the washer stack configuration. Does it make that much of a difference on how they stack up. The reel was serviced before by Kens custom tackle, I was told, and he installed it same way as saltiga 30T,40 and 50, also all saltist star drags are the same. But when I looked at my manual it showed different, I installed it as shown on pix, since thats what the manual showed.

johndtuttle

Yes, the order of the drag washers and spring washers is critical to smooth max drag. Ken's knew what they were doing.  You should return them to that configuration or look up the tutorial here. small changes make a big difference in terms of range of drag and max drag.

Reelz

The schematics shows washer stacks configuration as shown on the pix, thats why I installed it that way, thats what the book says. But when I took it apart, it was identical to saltist, saltiga 30t, 40, and 50 stacks.

http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/SA15-30.pdf

http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/SA30T-40-50.pdf

johndtuttle

I fail to see any difference in the washer order. If I am missing something please point it out and I will try and help.

Reelz

Look at 58-63 on Sa20 and 54-58 on SA30T and you'll see the difference.

Reelz

On sa15-30 it goes:

1. 2 Drag spring washer
2. Ball Bearing washer
3. Ball Bearing
4. O ring
5. Leaf spring

SA 30T,40 and 50

1. O ring
2. Ball Bearing
3. O ring
4. 2 Drag spring washer
5. Leaf spring

Bryan Young

How did you get those bushings out?  If you can figure it out, please share.  I had 5 reels that needed new bushings because the reels were fished, and fished hard.  I decided to send the reels into Daiwa because I finally gave up and didn't want to damage the reel.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reelz

I haven't...Thats my question too since I couldn't get it out and measure it. My sa30 had ball bearing already on there and was easy to get out. But sa20 had bushing, thats why I was kinda confused since all my saltist/sa30 came factory bearings. I would assume they would put bearing instead since its their top end reel but they didn't. :-\

johndtuttle

It shouldn't really matter which way those washers are put in as long as they protect the bearing properly. They are typically there to be sure that force is on the races rather than the shields of the bearing. You can play with the order if you want, but it won't make a difference to your max drag unless you mess up the spring effect. They need to be in a () orientation.

As far as max drag goes, you are not supposed to be able to lock down a 20 size reel. So don't worry about that.

Try to be more clear in your posts. These are not "drag washers" they are gear shaft washers for the star and to protect the shaft bearing. The drag washers are what makes the stopping power. the shaft washers assist in proper transmission from the star to the drag.

best

Reelz

Oic, sorry for the confusion, thats why I posted pix so people can see and called it washer stack. Didn't know the exact name for them. I also installed washers this way ().