Penn 650SS Drag Question

Started by Blueclaw, November 27, 2012, 09:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueclaw

Hi,  I stumbled across this forum when researching the drag on my Penn 650SS.  My reel is in the area of 20 years old (+/- 5) and in excellent condition.  I decided to upgrade my drag washers if there is a better replacement available.  I understand that HT-100 is what I need.  Not knowing anything about HT-100, I can't compare to what I have.

My present drag washers are 2 fiber washers and one teflon washer, with stainless washers in between.  The fiber washers look like they may contain asbestos, not sure.  My original parts list identifies them as Part# 56B-650, Drag Washer (Brake lining).  These washers show no signs of any lubricant ever being on them.  So, my questions are:

1)  Is there an upgrade available?

2)  If I am keeping my old washers, do I lubricate them, and if so, with what?

3)  If I install new washers, do they get lubed and with what?

4)  The teflon thrust washer below the spool presently has grease on it.  is this correct?

5)  Off subject, but can I run braid on this reel, it would primarily be for drift fishing in the Gulf.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Hello Blueclaw.
A good upgrade to start with would be  to replace the (3) washers with (3) 6-155, also replace the teflon under the spool with a 6-60. Make sure you lightly grease the new washers with some Cal's grease prior to install. Another good upgrade is to replace the drog knob with a 52N-650N, this one comes with a seal. You could purchase just the seal, but the new knob is much better, I had a couple of the older ones crack on me.
As for the link that Bryan sent you above, that's also a good upgrade from Justin, but at the moment we're waiting for Lee ( Keta ) to make us some parts.
BTW Lee, what happened to those dogs and ratchets? I sent the samples 6 month ago :-\. You need to stop playing favorites ;D.
Welcome and enjoy your stay Bluecrab.
Sal

You probably already have this information, this is where you'll find what you need.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn650SS.aspx
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Blueclaw, Great advice from Sal and Bryan. As Sal said change out the old washers and teflon washers out with Ht100's. Make sure the last washer under the knob is a keyed washer so the drag doesn't back off when the spool turns. Use Cal's drag grease on the drag washers. I have braid on my 650 and 6500's. These are great reels. I think the 650 is my favorite spinner that I own. Also the knob with seal helps to keep water out of the drags. My reels get a lot of spray on the boat and i consider the knob a must.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 27, 2012, 10:44:52 PM
BTW Lee, what happened to those dogs and ratchets? I sent the samples 6 month ago :-\. You need to stop playing favorites ;D.

Sal

I thought the material was too thick????    The drawings are all done and I can buy material but the scrap tub I've been working out of is getting empty.  The problem is I don't want to get stuck with a large piece of SS I may or may not use and SS scrap is not common in SE Oregon.   As soon as I get the small Penn dogs and Daiwa drag washers done I'll get on your special project, after that I'll start on the spinner anti reverse part.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Sal, I'm his favorite:).

Lee, pm me the material thickness and let me see if I can get you a smaller piece of material to work with.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Let me try to locate some scrap or drops first, McMaster-Carr can be expensive.  I have to move my #2 daughter, again, and will be in the Portland area around 12/10, I'll stop by Alaska Copper and the gear shop.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Take your time Lee, I'm just messing with you ;).
Good to see you busy buddy.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Lee,

Hope all goes well with the move. Moving kids can be a full time ocupation for some of us.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Yes it can, and then you have to deal with what comes your way afterwards.
my daughters flight from Boston to PA used to be $99, round trip. She's now on her second year at BU and the flight home went up to $700 :'(. Southwestern discontinued the route. I had no idea of the hidden costs with sending your kids to college :-\.

Blueclaw

Thanks to all info I received form this board, I was able to completely overhaul my Penn 650SS.  The only snag I have hit is near the end of the job.  I am replacing the old teflon thrust washer #60-750 with an HT-100 washer # 6-60.  The ID of the teflon washer is .480", the ID of the HT-100 washer is .415".  this washer is the washer beneath the spool.  I am not sure weather I need a different HT-100 washer or whether it need to have its ID altered.  If modifying the ID, I haven't a clue as to how to do this without making a real mess.  If I need to revert to the teflon thrust washer, does this reduce my drag characteristics significantly enough to worry about?  Thanks for your help, Mark

Alto Mare

Hello Blueclaw, yes the ID needs to be enlarged about 1/16th., sorry, I forgot to mention it. It is pretty easy to do if you have a dremel. If you're not comfortable with it, try washer # 6-875, the ID is a little lose but it should work just fine. Another option would be a 6-113H, trim an 1/8" from  the outer side with scissors, no need to be precise.
You will be OK using the teflon washer, but the CF is a better choice.
Sal

Blueclaw

Sal,  I have a Dremel tool.  Which type bit would you suggest?  Mark

Alto Mare

Mark, with the dremel any bit would do the job.  A bit with a larger diameter is easier to work with, a sanding drum works best...for me, anyway.

Blueclaw

Sal, got the job done.  Thanks for your help.  Now I just have to wait a month to try it out in Florida.