baja or 6/o for grouper diging

Started by broschro, November 30, 2012, 07:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 01, 2012, 06:24:11 AM
Another vote for the 113HN. I like flexibility in my gear for more than one fishing application. The Baja Special will cast great if they ever choose to fish tuna, wahoo or anything where casting may be required. Spectra backed narrow's kick azz, less wobble, lighter, easier to thumb line on the spool, cast better and the 113HN has all the newer tech built in right out of the box. You can fish what 25 lbs of drag with them? Any higher than that drag pressure I'm with the others and opt for 2 speed reels.
why the 2 speed?

Normslanding

Being a California transplant to Florida makes me think different about a Grouper is a Grouper. Or any other fish for that matter. Most of the Grouper fishing in Florida is in shallower water than in the west. Also the bottom is also not the same as in the west. Most of the charter guys in Florida use Penn Senators. They (mostly) do not fill the reels full of line. The line is usually mono. The low gear ratio of the reel coupled with a spool that is not full gives a big advantage in turning the handle. One of Alans handles would also help with the leverage. Another option for Florida is a small reel with a low gear ratio. I use my Makaira 10SEa. The low gear, and small spool is great for grouper. The disadvantage is cost. Very heavy Spectra is a big advantage. Many Head Boats, and charter guys do not like Spectra, for bottom fishing.  But if I let a regular fisherman use my Mak 10 they want one. Two of my friends have switched to a Makaira 10. If I was to pick a Grouper reel (other than a Mak 10) it would be a old black 4/0 I got on ebay.

coonhound

I prefer a 113H tank or Baja over a 114h.  Unless you're targeting jewfish or warsaw, the 113h is great for reds and gags.  And if you're fishing 150' or less, 1 speed is fine.  Star drags all the way.  I haven't fished with a Baja, but it's on the shopping list.  I like to palm my reels, and a narrow frame is a nice advantage. 

Quite a few Gulf bottom fishermen like the Daiwa Saltist Black Gold Star or Penn Fathom Star. 

alantani

Quote from: broschro on December 01, 2012, 05:42:23 PM
Another vote for the 113HN. I like flexibility in my gear for more than one fishing application. The Baja Special will cast great if they ever choose to fish tuna, wahoo or anything where casting may be required. Spectra backed narrow's kick azz, less wobble, lighter, easier to thumb line on the spool, cast better and the 113HN has all the newer tech built in right out of the box. You can fish what 25 lbs of drag with them? Any higher than that drag pressure I'm with the others and opt for 2 speed reels.
why the 2 speed?

because we're old!!!!!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coonhound

Quote from: alantani on December 01, 2012, 10:51:30 PM
because we're old!!!!!  ;D

That's why you take kids fishing!  "Better check that bait, son."

dobrobill

Quote from: alantani on December 01, 2012, 10:51:30 PM

because we're old!!!!!  ;D

Amen....   I like 113h with double dogs tib/accurate frame, Baja would be nice, have a torque 300 which will work or 113 mtl I think will work ....

BUT... I think the 500/600 bx2/dawgs would also be great.  

As to Fl. headboats/charter boats. They use them because they last, easy to maintain and the are cheap. Charter boat guy will give you a better reel second time out if he sees you can respect the equimpment.... Because behind your back he calls the senators guest reels...

Keta

We fish Avets and Shimano on the charter boat I work on, my personal reels I bring are mostly Penns.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: broschro on December 01, 2012, 05:42:23 PM
why the 2 speed?

Alan kind of hit it but load up a single speed reel with 25lbs of weight and set the drags so you can crank up the weight a couple yards and see how it feels (weight out of the water). Next put a 2 speed reel on the same rod crank up the weight in high gear then drop the reel in low gear and go the same, you will have your answer. The low gear gives you way more cranking power. Like I said I like flexibility in my reels and one 2 speed reel will cover a much larger range of applications.

I fish in the Sea of Cortez a couple of times a year in the Loreto and La Paz areas and one 2 speed reel will cover a wide range of the fishing I do. I mainly fish 40 lb test and if I need to rip bombs for wahoo, fish the yoyo iron for yellowtail, bait stripped marlin or sails, crank grouper or pargo away from structure, bait tuna, catch dorado the size in my avatar one 2 speed reel will cover it all pretty well.

The Baja Special has two settings on its handle, I have mine set to it's outer setting and it offers good power. IMO no need to get a after market handle unless you want one.

conchydong

One thing you  have to remember is that Fl grouper are rarely over 30 lbs. It is different than dropper loop fishing on the ridge off of Baja Mexico where groupers are generally alot larger. A Baja special will work just fine for 99% of the grouper fishing in Florida. It doesn't have to be complicated.

George4741

Quote from: Normslanding on December 01, 2012, 06:43:35 PM

If I was to pick a Grouper reel (other than a Mak 10) it would be a old black 4/0 I got on ebay.

YES, NOW WE'RE TALKING! 8)  Something like my narrowed black 4/0 with a 1+5 drag stack and all-steel gears/ss gear sleeve.  It has the same diameter/width as a Baja Special and the 1:2 gear ratio has great cranking power.  Well, at least I'd be willing to give it a try. ;D  
viurem lliures o morirem

SoCalAngler

Quote from: conchydong on December 02, 2012, 01:36:58 AM

One thing you  have to remember is that Fl grouper are rarely over 30 lbs. It is different than dropper loop fishing on the ridge off of Baja Mexico where groupers are generally alot larger. A Baja special will work just fine for 99% of the grouper fishing in Florida. It doesn't have to be complicated.

Thats why my vote was for the 113HN. The 2 speed coments were directed to broschro who asked why a 2 speed?

Alto Mare

This topic came up before, I tried to find the topic from about a year ago, but no luck. One of the members here was asking for advice on a good reel to handle those monsters down in Florida. He had some pictures up and they didn't look like no 30Lb fish :-\. I don't remenber clearly, but I believe he mentioned that anything less than a 6/0 wouldn't hold up. He also mentioned that you're only allowed to catch and release those.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Alto,
Those were Goliath Grouper A.KA. Jew Fish if memory serves me right.

broschro

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 02, 2012, 07:45:15 AM
Alto,
Those were Goliath Grouper A.KA. Jew Fish if memory serves me right.
the goliath r all over the  place they need to let us keep one a day,if you can pull one up.i will be going with a 6/0 tank for mysellf.love my 113hn tank and 113htank with all the good's.the grouper r big and will rock you up Quick!if you r not on your a game.point the rod tip at the water,and reel like you have a Million dollars on the end of the line.