baja or 6/o for grouper diging

Started by broschro, November 30, 2012, 07:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

baja sp or 6/0 hs for grouper diging.i think the 6/0 ;D but why ??? trying to help someone pick out a new reel.

Westii

I prefer the size of the Baja Special (with a Kolekar 6/0 grip) over the 6/0.  How big are the grouper they are going after?

Rick

conchydong

I like the Baja also unless you are going "old school" with a spool full of 100lb mono. Then you would need the capacity of the 6/0. If you are using braid with mono topshot, then Baja. With the Baja you can also deep jig comfortably.

Keta

Out of the box I'd go with the Baja Special, if you/he/she wants to upgrade/tinker then the 114H (6/0) fixed up, like Sal has shown us.  

114H2 (6/0)                   $130.00
Tib frame and spool        $200.00
SS anti reverse dogs          $8.00
SS gear sleeve                 $25.00+
Total                              $363.00          

113HN (Baja Spacial) $250.00
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

The Baja is a nice reel, but it's not in the same class as the 6/0. I would go with the 6/0 for that type of fishing. You need to take everything into consideration, not just the gears, spools and so on, the Baja's gear post is as thick as the Penn Jigmaster. I don't believe that it could handle those monsters, but you could make me a believer :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

The Baja frame is aluminum and, I think, stronger than a standard 114 or 114H. It is **definitely** stronger than a recent 114 with a graphite frame. An older 114 with 5 metal posts, or a 114 with an aluminum frame is stronger but I'd still take a Baka personally. I've caught halibut in the 200# class with a Baja strung with straight 80# spectra. It held up fine.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

You must be a tough guy Bill, not bad bringing a 200# fish to the boat with a 4.3:1 ratio. I still say that the 6/0 is a much better reel for that type of fishing, but to each its own.  I'm not talking out of the box, all that reel needs  is the new Tib frame that doesn't require inner rings and a ss sleeve. You could find a 114h on ebay for $80 any day, add @ $120 and you're set.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

between the two, i'd go old school with a 114h narrow.  given a choice, i'd go with gold two speed anything.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 30, 2012, 11:06:03 PM
You must be a tough guy Bill, not bad bringing a 200# fish to the boat with a 4.3:1 ratio. I still say that the 6/0 is a much better reel for that type of fishing, but to each its own.  I'm not talking out of the box, all that reel needs  is the new Tib frame that doesn't require inner rings and a ss sleeve. You could find a 114h on ebay for $80 any day, add @ $120 and you're set.

And you will be fishing with a reel you modified, what's that worth.

Wouldn't it be a better comparison to do a 113HN Tank vs Baja Special?

Alan, most of my mid size "gold" reels, 50 and down, are blue....but the drags are greased.  I've used 2 speed reels for halibut but I don't see the need, my 113HN Tank handles them well and when I lived in Alaska my halibut reels were 3.25:1 349Hs.  We never kept big fish so I can't tell you how much they weighed but we cut a lot of fish loose in the 5'-6' range.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 30, 2012, 11:06:03 PM
You must be a tough guy Bill, not bad bringing a 200# fish to the boat with a 4.3:1 ratio. I still say that the 6/0 is a much better reel for that type of fishing, but to each its own.  I'm not talking out of the box, all that reel needs  is the new Tib frame that doesn't require inner rings and a ss sleeve. You could find a 114h on ebay for $80 any day, add @ $120 and you're set.
I will attest to this.  The "Tank" is the king and works flawlessly.  So far small tuna (35lbs) but sooner or later it's going to connect with something bigger.  I'll report in.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Westii

In my opinion, the 6/0 reels are just too big and heavy to fish comfortably for long durations.  Unless one is fishing for massive grouper (goliath for example), I think the smaller Baja Special would be the better choice.  Also, line stretch is not a good thing when it comes to grouper fishing, so braided line would be a good choice and the size of the 6/0 just isn't needed.  Certainly, both will catch fish.  It just comes down to what feels better in each angler's hand.

Rick

SoCalAngler

Another vote for the 113HN. I like flexibility in my gear for more than one fishing application. The Baja Special will cast great if they ever choose to fish tuna, wahoo or anything where casting may be required. Spectra backed narrow's kick azz, less wobble, lighter, easier to thumb line on the spool, cast better and the 113HN has all the newer tech built in right out of the box. You can fish what 25 lbs of drag with them? Any higher than that drag pressure I'm with the others and opt for 2 speed reels.

alantani

i though all grouper were massive!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Squirmypug

Load a Baja Special with 80lb braid and use a 15-30' 60-100lb mono (size depends on the structure you are fishing). Should be able to winch the grouper up with no problems..unless you want to go after jewfish..you are on your own with those..
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

rx7240sx

113hn is what i would use but if you look around you can find a penn torque 100 for about 150 to 200 on ebay  that's what i use  caught a 40 inch gag  and 55 inch  cobia with ease.  spool it to the top 65 pound braid and a short  80 pound flourocarbon leader  around 6 feet