Saltiga 30T - Handle "Knob" Bearings

Started by Jason, November 30, 2012, 08:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I have a Saltiga 30T that has seen many years of use and still performs perfectly. I do have one little issue that is bugging me though. Under a load, the knob on the handle makes a "clicking" noise. I'm assuming one, or both, of the bearings in the knob are worn out. The knob still spins freely and doesn't interfere with the reels performance, it's just not right and is annoying. So, I would like to replace them. I can easily remove the knob, but the bearings seem stuck and I don't want to force them out and damage anything.

My question is, how do I remove those bearings, without damaging anything?

Jason

alantani

i just ruined a the frame of a saltist that had the exact same problem.  it was so bad, i had to try drilling and punching it out from the other sided.  then i tried to dig it out and pea sized piece of metal under the bearing popped out.  i'm going to have to tell the owner it's a total fail.  it was so badly filled with corrosion that i don't even know why i bothered.  i had to drill three side plate screws out to even get the side plates off.  took me two hours to get the point where i finally gave up. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

if the bearings haven't broken to pieces, just pop off the cap, take out the screw and the knob should slide off.  If the bearing outer race is stuck in the handle knob, it will be pretty hard to get out.

If it comes out cleanly, I would highly recommend packing those tiny bearings with grease.  It will not spin as fast, but the bearing will last longer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jeri

Hi Guys,

Just had a similar problem with an Avet that the guy had treated badly, the bearings had fortunately collapsed, so taking it apart was no problem. Looking to the future with this client, and how he loves to wade and keep his reels fully immersed in sea water - I opted to make him a couple of nylon bushes, and packed the whole thing with grease - doesn't spin so well, but at least it will last him a lot longer.

Sometimes we are not just fixing reels for folks, but fighting an up hill battle to educate our clients in some simple preventive maintenance. I would hate to be a full time school teacher!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Jason

I'll have some time today to see if I can get them out. I'll report back.

Nessie Hunter

Handle knob????   
Just replace the whole thing, save yourself a lot of grief & time...
Blank & Knob is piece of cake.   Smoothdrags.com....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Jason

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on December 01, 2012, 06:48:07 PMJust replace the whole thing, save yourself a lot of grief & time...

That would be too easy, besides I like the stock handle and like to fix things.   ;D

Jason

This is what was causing the "clicking" noise I described...

Irish Jigger

Those stock handles are great. From memory, after removing  the handle screw there is another screw which is on the handle spindle which may require a slotted screwdriver to remove. The two ball bearings and the washer should come away with the handle. They are not difficult to replace but need to be greased as previously recommended. Lovely reels.

Irish Jigger

Well done,I think they are 5x8x2.50mm bearings.