Any thoughts?

Started by dustin.brace, December 02, 2012, 03:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustin.brace

Ok guys, another request for suggestions. I am in the market for a spinning reel. Take a look at my list of requirements and let me know if you have any suggestions. I am open to new or gently used. All of my reels are Penns, just because that is what I have found for reasonable prices.

Needs:
Cost $0-$800+/- a bit (preferably somewhere in the middle, but I am open to saving up)
Sturdy and well made
Not impossible to maintain
Capable of exchanging spools

Uses:
Surf fishing (my most common fishing)
Jetty fishing
Day and a half trips

Locale:
SoCal mostly, sometimes N Baja California

Also, any rod suggestions will be appreciated. Of my dozen or so rods only two are spinning rods, and those are only for surf perch and corbina.

Thanks,
Dustin
" height="90" width="160

wallacewt

hi dustin
thinking about what you are asking.if it was me.
penns, 650ss, 750ss, 850ss, 950ss,
4 matching ugly sticks.
you could come in under budget $800
line, 10kg, 20kg, 30kg, 50kg, braid.
hot rod the reels.
excluding sharks,not much you couldnt catch.
gd luck.

SoCalAngler

Dustin,

Spinners are alright for what your looking to do but a conventional reel will serve you better IMO for the fishing we do here in So Cal. As you know we are mostly a live bait fishery once you step onto a cattle boat and conventional reels are better for that application. If casting a conventional is an issue you will never get better at it if you don't do it. If it must be a spinner I'd check out the Penn Spinfisher V reels or maybe the Battle line. For a conventional check out The Penn Squall line or the Daiwa Sealine's both offer good bang for the buck. IMO don't go cheap on a rod it has been my experience that reels come and go as you look to upgrade but a good rod will fish well and last you a life time if well taken care of.