Modern internals for 5500 of late 70's ?

Started by GulfOfBothnia, December 02, 2012, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GulfOfBothnia

Someone might call this a frankenreel but here is what I'm planning...

I have a chromed cage and nice set of red end plates of year 74-79 model.

To finish this reel I need a matching set of gears, brake plate and the spool. What are my options...

1) Get internals from the same period as the end plates are

2) Can I get a modern set of stuff to put it into the reel?

I have found that the limiting factor is the height of the right end plate (the handle side)... there is not enough room for a modern gear set.

Do you know how e.g. Jerry Foran builds these old style reels. Are they totally of old style parts or are there modern internals in there?

I have and fish 4 of Jerry's custom reels everyday.  He uses N.O.S. parts from the C series pre 80's reels.  To me there is a world of difference in smoothness compared to the modern parts.  On mine, I have a drive shaft b.b. in place of the plastic handle bushing too and its like butta....!

Ken_D

As per the 0119's post, your options are likely limited to parts of the day. Modern internals don't fit, if your crank sideplate has no hump, or the driveshaft post on the brakeplate is not tall enough to take the today gearset. Mr. Foran uses new old stock parts, and anything aftermarket that works, like better ball bearings, carbontex drags, ceramic line pawl, multi-bearing worm, any handle the sport wants that fits, etc.

Are there any numbers on your frame, or is it a replacement one with no numbering underneath? If numbers, what would they be.

I'd begin by open 5C schematics of the day, and look for brake plates with dual trip levers (like abu 7000's use),  spools, etc. You can shim the contact point inside of the side plate, to limit the travel of the anti-reverse dog, approximating instant anti reverse. I use small round leathers from pool cue tips, with contact cement.

GulfOfBothnia

Hi,

Number in the frame foot is 160016/42. Should be rather new model?
The only difference to older frames I can detect is it has rise (not sure how they should be called) for the thumb rest.

Nuvole

I change the frame of my Foran's to zzeta tuning and its godsend.

I ordered another 2 set of internals from Mr. Foran planning to install them onto my 80's 6500CT Rocket, and they do not fit :-(

Ken_D

Quote from: GulfOfBothnia on December 02, 2012, 06:39:22 PM
Hi,

Number in the frame foot is 160016/42. Should be rather new model?
The only difference to older frames I can detect is it has rise (not sure how they should be called) for the thumb rest.

Abu was sort of "in transition" about that time frame.  without an image, I suspect both your plates are flat, with a bevelled rim, and two cast control caps, one on each plate. If this is you, then you are destined to use either good used, or new old stock, to build the reels.   

GulfOfBothnia

Quote from: Ken_D on December 03, 2012, 07:37:17 PM

Abu was sort of "in transition" about that time frame.  without an image, I suspect both your plates are flat, with a bevelled rim, and two cast control caps, one on each plate. If this is you, then you are destined to use either good used, or new old stock, to build the reels.   

The plates are just as you described.
I have started to search for matching internals and spool.

I'm in no hurry with this... trying to find good prices.