Stainless steel parts.

Started by BMITCH, December 02, 2012, 05:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Quote from: Keta on December 03, 2012, 06:02:46 PM

I have a few .045" 349 (not 349H) drag washers cut, do you know where I can get rid of them?

Of course I know. ;)  Do you need my address? ;D
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Not now, they will be in the mail soon.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Thank you, Lee.  You are the greatest!
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on December 03, 2012, 05:51:08 PM
Quote from: BMITCH on December 02, 2012, 05:24:01 PM

Does anyone know if the following is available in SS?

Bridge plate for the 114H

Some of my older jigmasters and a surfmaster have stainless steel bridges.  Does anyone know if Penn make s/s bridges for the 114H and others in the old days?
 George
I don't believe so. Those are chromed brass, just like the trap under your sink.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

The older Jigmaster and Surfmaster Bridges are nickel plated brass,not stainless steel. Maybe the Chinese will eventually use stainless steel in their Jigmasters.

VW

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 02, 2012, 05:57:14 PM
The ss gears are available, but you need to know where to look. Penn placed the ss gears in their 50th anniversay reels, the ones with the red spool.

Sal,  You have mentioned Penn supplied ss gears several times.  How does one identify them?  Did Penn actually manufacture them, or acquire them from from someone else.  I have a couple of main gears that "look different" than other steel gears, but they have the bronze center bushing Penn used.  I have used a magnet.  Was surprised to find that when magnet was used on known Newell gears, the attraction may be somewhat weaker, but not much difference.  That test does not seem to be much help. 

Alto Mare

VW, there are a few guys here that know more about metal then I would ever learn, maybe they'll chime in. Today you would probably have a harder time finding steel gears than ss gears, the plain steel gears were in production in the very beginning. I have Accurate ss gears that are not magnetized, I also have Penn and Newell and they are, I believe it has to do with the mixture of metals that they used. About Penn gears, I know that they supplied them, but I can't tell you if they manufactured them....I wasn't there ;D. The bronze center bushing is an insulator to reduce noise.
Here is a shot that puzzled me , the larger gear is from an earlier 16/0 :

This is after two weeks in the water, the cut nail was completely rusted :-\.
By the way, I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about the nice thing you did for me a while back, selling me the Accurate gears for $35. If you need anything, just let me know and I see what I can do.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Interesting test on thoses gears. Nice to actually see it. Does any one know if there is a SS or even steel pinion yoke available for the jimasters? The one I have is brass and needs to be replaced. I would like to get the best one possible. Bob
luck is the residue of design.

George4741

Quote from: BMITCH on December 05, 2012, 10:19:59 AM

Does any one know if there is a SS or even steel pinion yoke available for the jimasters? The one I have is brass and needs to be replaced. I would like to get the best one possible. Bob

Yes, SMOoOTH Drag has them for $4.00.
viurem lliures o morirem

VW

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 05, 2012, 09:40:23 AM
Here is a shot that puzzled me , the larger gear is from an earlier 16/0 :
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/pescatore1/Picture2568.jpg
This is after two weeks in the water, the cut nail was completely rusted :-\.

Sal

Do you know if, or believe that, the two Penn gears in pic are stainless?  The gears I have are same color/hue, as known ss gears.  They are very consistent in color on all surfaces, no mottling or variation, no signs of corrosion. One gear has seen some use with polished drag and teeth surfaces. Other gear has little/no use.  They are obviously Penn gears with the bronze bushing.  I did not know about Penn ss gears until reading it here.  Wondering if I may have some.

Actually, I have several sets of steel gears.  Most are used but have three sets that are NOS/unused.  The gears I am wondering about seem to be "different".

Cone

I bet you do have some VW. The steel gears I've seen do look different than the ss ones. Penn did not mark the ss gears so I guess I believe it. SS can rust but not like steel. two of the reels I got them out of were from the mid 80's with lots of use and didn't show signs of regular maintenance and very little grease. The gears look much better than I would have expected a steel gear to. No real rust but some slight staining in places. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

TomT

Wouldn't Sal's water test be a good test for SS??  I know some SS is better than others for rusting but if it is reistant to rust (or more resistant to rust) than ordinary steel, wouldn't that be a good indication of stainless??

Alto Mare

Tom, as I mentioned above, there are a few guys here that know more about steel than I would ever learn. I'm showing the picture only becauce I thought it was interesting, it is not to determine if it is a good test for ss.
I know that the larger gear is steel, that's why I posted the picture. Penn must have used a process with plain metal that made them hold up to the elements....for the most part. With that said, I have  removed similar gears that were loaded with rust in the past :-\.
Here is something else that some wouldn't think it could happen, I have removed ss Newell gears that were loaded with rust :-\ .
Sal

Keta

Touch the gear to a grinder and look at the sparks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

I never found rust on or in the teeth of Newell Gears. I pick the teeth on the whole Gear Set when I do service. I find most of the rust inside the gear where the Stack goes. Mostly because of lack of TLC.

I just removed 2 sets of gears from Penn 501 & the gears were black. I know they are steel but no rust.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.