Stainless steel parts.

Started by BMITCH, December 02, 2012, 05:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Does anyone know if the following is available in SS?

Bridge plate for the 114H

Main gear for the 114H

Also this is probably a question more towards Lee. What is currently available in the dogs. I'm trying to double dog a 114H with the dogs not in sync. Alternating is what I'm trying to do. Is the second dog the same or is it say a dog for the 9/0? And finally...what bearings should I be updating to?

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Hello Bob, we didn't get to the ss bridge plate yet, some of us don't think it's necessary. The ss gears are available, but you need to know where to look. Penn placed the ss gears in their 50th anniversay reels, the ones with the red spool. Unfortunatly that might not help you, a lot of guys swap the gears and sell the reels, so you never know what you'll get. Dom ( Broadway ) is trying to bring us the faster ss gears for the 6/0 and 4/0.
About the dogs, if you're looking for them to alternate, you will need two 15-114, if you need them to engage at the same time you will then need to mismatch as one 15-114 and one 15-115, you might still need to do a little filing.
Contact Lee for the dogs and he will send them right out
Here is the link of what we're talking about:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3077.msg19705#msg19705
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Hi Bob,

Main gears are available in SS if you can find them. They were made by accurate. No Bridge. Regarding the dogs, you have to fine tune them by filing away a little from the second dog, and I'm using 6/0 dogs for both.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

O.k. Got to get Lee to send more dogs. I screwed up my side plate by taking too much material from the cover...so now the bridge plate when tightened down mill bind up the extra dog. Guess I couldn't visualize what exactly needed to be taken off. Oh well, there will be a lot more mistakes on these reels in the future. I'm trying to double dog the following reels..112H,506,505,113H. Is this possible on all these models?? How about the squidders?. As far as the bearings...should I go with the stock Penn opened up and lubed with the TSI? Or should I go with the Boca or similar type. What do you guys recommend?? I. Feel as though I'm in these reels a lot and would like to get all the upgrades currently available done at one time or until someone starts triple dogging them..YIKES!!

dobrobill

Here is a 113h narrow I'm working on. Not sure I got it right, need to make a little more room for spring. Looks like the are going to hit at the same time which I guess is alright. Slow process for me as I'm not the greatest with the dremel.... Thanks Sal for the inspiration...

Alto Mare

Good job Bill, just try to square off a little at the bottom. If the opening is too wide , wind two coil springs into each other and that should do it.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Bob, Like Sal said Penn made ss main gears for these reels for a few years. I believe Penn even had them under identical part numbers. I have found ss gears in the red spool aniversary reels. But like Sal said they could have been swapped over the years. I also recently got a ss main out of a 113h on ebay. One of the pictures showed the left sideplate off the reel and I spotted the gear in the photo. It went for 30.00 + 7.00 shipping. There were also older reels with steel gears that will rust. All of the ss gears are weakly magnetic due to changes in the metals structure when worked. Just try a strong magnet on a ss pinion if you don't believe me. The gears are there you just have to look and get lucky. 
     Bill, great job on thr 113h. I see the ebay main in that reel. I bought a set but it will probably be after Christmas before I will have the spare cash to finish the reel. Let us know how they work. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BMITCH

Thanks for the info guy's. Years ago I was able to get the SS gears for my 113H through chark bait. I believe that they are the Newell gears. I will keep my eyes out for the set on the 114H through eBay. Is there any distinguishing feature I should look for on the gear to make sure it's not just steel? Or is it a crap shoot and I'm going to need to buy reels until I get the right set? Thanks again

Bob

dobrobill

Quote from: BMITCH on December 02, 2012, 05:24:01 PM

Main gear for the 114H

Also this is probably a question more towards Lee. What is currently available in the dogs. I'm trying to double dog a 114H with the dogs not in sync. Alternating is what I'm trying to do. Is the second dog the same or is it say a dog for the 9/0? And finally...what bearings should I be updating to?

Bob

One on ebay, goes off 11 hours,,,  now 8:20 est... 

dobrobill

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 03, 2012, 04:52:55 AM
Good job Bill, just try to square off a little at the bottom. If the opening is too wide , wind two coil springs into each other and that should do it.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal

Thanks Sal, did square after pic taken. Great tip on the two springs, because I made a small spring hole so it will be still when I put it back together and I think I will need the extra length.  Waiting on parts to finish it up.
Thanks again.

Keta

Quote from: BMITCH on December 02, 2012, 06:51:00 PM
O.k. Got to get Lee to send more dogs. I screwed up my side plate by taking too much material from the cover...so now the bridge plate when tightened down mill bind up the extra dog.

Thiner dogs can be cut or you can remove material from the sides of the dog you have until you have clearance.

What is currently available in the dogs.

I have dogs cut and proven for all Senator high speed reels and the large Senators, 15-200, 15-309 have been checked. 15-500, 15-140 and some other SS dogs have to be recut due to minor problems with my drawings, they are at the cutter today.

We all should thank Sal for providing me with a sample of most Penn dogs, thanks again Sal.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Some of my older jigmasters and a surfmaster have stainless steel bridges.  Does anyone know if Penn make s/s bridges for the 114H and others in the old days?
 George
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Are they SS or chromed brass?   I have one in my parts pile but I'm reluctant to scratch it.

I have a 349 bridge drawn up but I want to have a shaft turned before I cut the bridge.  I'm thinking a 114H gearsleeve with it's larger size and heavier shaft might be a good and easy upgrade for a 349/349H.  I think 114H gears can be used but I don't know if a pinion can be found that fits, I have a useable 349H main gear I'd open up for the larger 114H gearsleeve.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on December 03, 2012, 05:56:54 PM

Are they SS or chromed brass?   

I just took a second look and I'm not sure....
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

I have a few .045" 349 (not 349H) drag washers cut, do you know where I can get rid of them?

Mark Twain