Avet HX 4.2 Single Speed Enhancement

Started by Tarponjack, December 03, 2012, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarponjack

Hello all,

Just wanted some information on how to improve this reel.

I just acquired this reel, but after doing some research I have seen several complaints about the sticking of the
lever with higher drag settings.
This purchase was made because of line capacity and price, I may just return it, but wanted to give it a chance first.

So any suggestions would be welcomed in what I can do to sort out this problem, and any others I don't know of.....

Thanks

akfish

I have serviced several HXs -- they are quite popular for halibut up here -- but have never heard of the lever sticking at high drags. The problem with the HX -- like most Avets -- is that if you push the drag too much you'll crunch the pinion bearing and have handle bind. But if you fish it within specs, it's a great reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tarponjack

Thanks,

I'll probably just change the handle, and use 15-20lbs of drag then , that should be a safe range

SoCalAngler

I use to deal with ALOT of Avets and never heard about any having a sticky lever. Just don't push the non Raptor HX's past about 22 lbs at strike and you should be fine.

Tarponjack

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 03, 2012, 04:39:57 PM
I use to deal with ALOT of Avets and never heard about any having a sticky lever. Just don't push the non Raptor HX's past about 22 lbs at strike and you should be fine.

Thanks, I plan to use no more than 17 at strike.
How about at max?

Keta

If you don't exceed the reels specks at strike it will hand the drag at full well.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tarponjack

One last question, should I leave the drag dry or add some Cals grease on the washers and also a bearing service before using it?

Keta

If you are going to use the reel around saltwater and don't want to replace the spool in the future I'd recommend greasing the drag.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

dobrobill

Quote from: Keta on December 03, 2012, 05:51:11 PM
If you are going to use the reel around saltwater and don't want to replace the spool in the future I'd recommend greasing the drag.

As cynical as I may sound, lets see a reel made for saltwater comes with dry drags because the company says it is best that way can loose its spool if used in saltwater environment. Company touts it as the hoo waa reel  which is for salt.. Seems they should send them out greased....   Gezz....

Keta

Quote from: dobrobill on December 03, 2012, 06:34:47 PM
Company touts it as the hoo waa reel  which is for salt.. Seems they should send them out greased....   Gezz....

That's a bit of a sore point all around.

The HX is a very good reel and just about the right size for wahoo and Pacific halibut, if I was looking for another reel in this category I'd consider the HXN Raptor.

Mark Twain

Tarponjack

Wahoo is my target species.

Is greasing the drag a simple task?
I'm not familiar with these types of reels..

Bryan Young

Look here  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=238.0.  It's essentially the same reel except your reel is larger.

Remove the side plate scres and slide the entire spool and sideplate assembly out.  Hold the shaft and unscrew the pre-set drag knob.  This will remove the spool and drag plate.  Now you have access to the drag.  Grease, rub in, and wipe off, and reassemble.

Avets used the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method in making their reels.  Simple and good reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Avets are easy to work on, remove the side plate take off the preset knob and drag lever and take out the spool to grease the drag washers, make sure the shim washers and spring get put back right and put the reel back together.

Mark Twain

alantani

decent reels, easy 15 pounds of drag.  go for it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tarponjack

Thanks all,

Guess i may just keep it and do what was suggested.

15ibs is a far cry from the 22@ strike 28max as advertised......