Rod for Tarpon/Casting rod

Started by Joakim W, December 05, 2012, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joakim W

Dear Fishermen of The world!

i am about to go to Trinidad/Tobago for some saltwater action. I really look forward for fishing after tarpon and wonder what kind of gear you use for these fish. Size on reel and what kind of rod. it would be really helpful if you named the rod because i have no idea what kind i should buy.
I allready have the Stella18000 SW and the Stella 5000 SW. would it be wrong of me to bring my smaller stella its a FE 4000???
We will not only hit Tarpon but also tuna, jacks, permit, snook and barracuda. i will be there for one month in marsh.

Many thanks from Joakim In Sweden

coonhound

Something with a fairly soft tip.  A medium or perhaps med-hvy rod that feels good to you (proper balance with reel) is what I would use.  I use a 7' medium/heavy with a soft tip. 

alantani

never fished for tarpon before.  good luck on your trip!!!!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reelinrudy

For tarpon, you want a compromise between a soft tip for pitching baits, and a stiff tip for hooksets. Any tarpon fisherman will tell you the hardest part about landing tarpon is keeping them from throwing hooks. There mouths are very hard, and a stiff rod helps with penetrating them, even with circle hooks. For most of my tarpon fishing, I rely on a setup consisting of a Penn Spinfisher 750 SSM, 50lb braid, and an Ugly Stik Bigwater, mod. BWSG1102. It tosses big baits well, and has plenty of power. If I were using "fancy" equipment like you  ;D, I would look into the nicer shimano or penn or accurate rods. Reality is that there are a ton of rods out there that work great for tarpon. Based off the above criteria, look around for something you like. Definitely get something about 7', plenty of backbone, comfortable grips, etc. If you find something you like post back and tell us what it is, and I'll try and offer feedback.

Also, definitely bring the 4000 rig. It is the perfect all-around rig and will be a much more comfortable option for those permit and snook.

Dominick

Joakim:  Go to fishinginpuerto.com.  Captain Omar is an expert on Tarpon fishing.  He uses light spinning gear with 12-15 lb test line.  I caught an 80lb Tarpon 6-7 years ago.  The last time I went out Omar had switched to circle hooks.  We lost several fish because of the tendency to set the hook thereby pulling the hook out of the fish's mouth before a hook-up.  You might be able to email Omar for some additional information, although the information above seems correct.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Tarpon are a fish of technique.A rod with a fast tip and a good heavy butt section will work for lures and a softer medium heavy will work for those live baits but it is all in personal preferance.I fly fish for Tarpon every time I get a chance and those rods are very light compared to what you are talking and I have still landed fish in the upper 120's with a 20# tippet and a 3/0 hook.You don't have to go big to catch a giant,my personal best is a 207# caught in the Tortugas west of Key West Floridia I caught on a 3/0 Penn and a 7' med heavy flipping stick with 80# spider wire.Granted I was lucky and fought him for almost two hours with him trying to get into every piling and obstruction he could but had a friend who could run a boat very well.
When I used to run charters in Floridia on rough days when we couldn't get out we would go Tarpon fishing in the back bays and canals,our tackle was a penn 209 a 6' 20# Star rod and 20# test line and 4' of 100# mono for shock tip with a 5/0 live bait hook tipped with a lively little pinfish.Over the years our customers caught hundreds from 30# to I think the biggest was 125#.
So to leave off it depends on the size of the fish you are targeting and what you are comfortable with using and what type of lures or baits you will use,a hard fast rule with the POONS is one out of ten if you get that lucky,set the hook HARD multiple times.Oh and one rule never to forget if you do hook up os BOW to the king,if you don't he will leave you very frustrated.(Always point your rod at a jumping fish ,it lessens the chance he will throw your hook.)I guess you can tell I love Tarpon fishing.Have a good trip.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dominick

Good information William.  207lbs, wow.  Do you have any photos.  Here is my personal best at 80lbs (estimate by Captain Omar).  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 07, 2012, 06:51:41 PM
Good information William.  207lbs, wow.  Do you have any photos.  Here is my personal best at 80lbs (estimate by Captain Omar).  Dominick

now, if that fish would have been caught on a daiwa sweepfire spinning reel, i would have been impressed!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

No we taped him and released as quickly as possible.When I was working alot there was rarely a camera around but I've got some photos around here somewhere of some 150-180 pounders but I have to dig them out.Alot of the fish we caught never left the water because of there tendancy to die on us after a long battle and at that time Floridia was pretty strict on there Tarpon rules.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Joakim W

Quote from: reelinrudy on December 07, 2012, 02:50:40 AM
For tarpon, you want a compromise between a soft tip for pitching baits, and a stiff tip for hooksets. Any tarpon fisherman will tell you the hardest part about landing tarpon is keeping them from throwing hooks. There mouths are very hard, and a stiff rod helps with penetrating them, even with circle hooks. For most of my tarpon fishing, I rely on a setup consisting of a Penn Spinfisher 750 SSM, 50lb braid, and an Ugly Stik Bigwater, mod. BWSG1102. It tosses big baits well, and has plenty of power. If I were using "fancy" equipment like you  ;D, I would look into the nicer shimano or penn or accurate rods. Reality is that there are a ton of rods out there that work great for tarpon. Based off the above criteria, look around for something you like. Definitely get something about 7', plenty of backbone, comfortable grips, etc. If you find something you like post back and tell us what it is, and I'll try and offer feedback.

Also, definitely bring the 4000 rig. It is the perfect all-around rig and will be a much more comfortable option for those permit and snook.

Thank you very much for the helpful information, 7 ft rod with strong backbone, i think i have seen that rod the Ugly stick bigwater in swedish stores.

Joakim W

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 07, 2012, 04:11:53 AM
Joakim:  Go to fishinginpuerto.com.  Captain Omar is an expert on Tarpon fishing.  He uses light spinning gear with 12-15 lb test line.  I caught an 80lb Tarpon 6-7 years ago.  The last time I went out Omar had switched to circle hooks.  We lost several fish because of the tendency to set the hook thereby pulling the hook out of the fish's mouth before a hook-up.  You might be able to email Omar for some additional information, although the information above seems correct.  Dominick

cant wait to fish for tarpon, this information is great.

wallacewt

hi joakim.
there are 2 great usa sites for tarpon." Robert McCue" and Addictive Fishing if you wish to google.gd luck.