114h second dog

Started by Jerseymic, December 06, 2012, 11:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseymic

Hi Guys

I have put a second dog in my 114h, does it look okay to you guys? (that is if I can post the photo)

Mike.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

It looks fine tome as long as you have enough clearance for the dog to clear when the sleeve is rotated. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Jerseymic

Thanks guys, yes the dog clears okay. As a relative newbie to all of this, even after reading all the posts from you experienced guys, it is still a bit of a worry taking a cutter to a sideplate and milling bits out!

Mike.

Alto Mare

No, it doesn't look ok to me, you need to talk to Alan and Lee to change the color of those parts ;D .
You did good Mike! For the next one, I would angle the cut for the flat sping a little more. I usually bring that grove toward the center of the lower screw, I believe that it will hold the tension a little better,  but you should be ok.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

Looks good,ss gears,gear sleeve and ss double dogs,thats the ticket.Good job.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Keta

Nice!

Now that the side plate has been trimed the SS parts are drop in.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jerseymic

Sal,
Thank you for your advice, just what I was looking for, whether it was okay or could be improved. Before I put the reel back together would it be better to re-cut the slot?

Sal, Saltydog, Keta,
Yes, yes, yes, I know I need the stainless parts! I would also like stainless parts for my 113h, and Tib frames.
I will see how the money is in the new year, and if i can afford it I will certainly make contact!

Mike.

Alto Mare

Mike, you could do a little test for yourself. Remove the sleeve from the bridge, slide the main gear in and set it in place. No washers in the inside of the gear, maybe one or two at the bottom. Now set the dogs with the screws and springs in place and turn the gear sleeve from the other side with your fingers. This should let you know if your cut is good, the new dog should move as the original. You should be ok, just bend that spring nicely before you set it in.
Another thing I want to mention to you and the others, try to keep the bend part of the spring rounded, no sharp folds. The shaft of a small screwdriver or  drill bit would help.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jerseymic

Hi Sal,

Thank you for the information, tried it out and the new dog seems okay.

The only thing I will change is the spring, as I had put a sharp bend in it and not a round one.

Thank you, I am learning all the time from you guys.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Irish Jigger

Very nice job there Mike,well done.

Jerseymic

Hi Irish,

Thank you for your kind words, I am learning as I go along, the help and support from everyone on this forum is outstanding. I certainly have got the bug now, and I imaging it is going to cost me lots of cash!! I will have to work it in with the house renovation without the good wife finding out, fortunatley she dosen't poke in the cupboards in my workshop!!

Mike.

Jerseymic

A special thank you to Keta.

Mike.