Shimano Tiagra 30WLrs

Started by handi2, December 07, 2012, 09:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I just picked a used one that had been thru the factory service and he had the receipt's. The problem is that imediately moving the lever above freespool the drag is way to tight even with the adjustment knob backed all the way. My Tiagra 50's are not like this at all.

I got into the reel and found 4 shims along with the 6 Bellville washers. Is this correct? I did notice that the drag washer was new and also the drag plate. Not much grease. The drag washer is now soaking in Cal's untill I verify the drag washer setup.

Thank you...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

The bellvilles are normally (())() from the factory with no shims on either side of the bellville stack.  How thick are the shims?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

the schematic shows  3 shims number 42a shimano calls them bearing thrust washers. the fourth is number 567. 40a is the bellevilles ( spring washer) 6ea. now the tricky part, looks like (())(( on the drawing but dont quote me that doesnt look right to me. bryan the shims are small and thin always on the spool bearings O.D. is the outter race size,I.D the shaft size

handi2

Thank you,

You are correct on the "shims" as I called them before looking at the schematic for this reel. There were 4 thrust washers after the bellville stack putting them against the roller bearing. The bellville's were not as shown on the schematic so I put everything back on as shown with the drag washer that I greased and it's all OK now.

I kinda jumped the gun posting this question before looking at the schematic b/c I have never seen so many thrust washers on my otherTiagra's.

Thank you again..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

No probs. the main thing is that the reel is back together and working again. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela