Trinidad A bearing and drag plate upgrades?

Started by darrenforeal, December 07, 2012, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenforeal

I have searched and can't find anything specific I am looking for. I have a TN 16A and was going to switch the drags to carbontex. But I also wanted to put better spool bearings in. Like open spool bearings or something that will help increase free spool. Cal's said they don't carry anything for the trinidad As. Any thoughts on what to do regarding the bearings? thanks!

conchydong

If I am not mistaken, the Trinidad A series already has Carbon fiber drags from the factory. The Dartanium II drags are the new carbon fibers. The original Dartaniums were the junky ones. Your bearings might already be open also, if not, that is an easy fix.
I don't think a new drag plate would be needed either. When the original Trinis and Toriums first came out they had some drag plate issues but I think that has been resolved unless you are looking for super ultra performance.

Bryan Young

I think your bearing are already opened.  It just need to be cleaned out and lubed with a speed lube because they use that white grease on the bearings.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

darrenforeal

oh cool! thanks guys. Haven't opened it up yet. I'll use TS 301 on the bearings then. Also are the Dartanium II the same as the greased carbontex more or less?

Bryan Young

Quote from: darrenforeal on December 07, 2012, 10:23:54 PM
Also are the Dartanium II the same as the greased carbontex more or less?
yes except with Shimano Drag Grease which I find gets sticky, icky black over time.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

darrenforeal

got the carbontex drags in the mail. Seems there is an extra carbontex drag washer. OE ones had only 4, carbontex pack had 5. weird. Figured i'd post it on here and see whats up. Just going to leave the extra one out for now.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CapeFish

Trinidad A has sealed spool bearings. You have to take the entire reel apart to get to them as there is no LHS plate  :-[