baitcasters/oil or grease?

Started by wallacewt, December 09, 2012, 04:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: wallacewt on December 11, 2012, 12:45:39 AM
i have a fin-nor ma20,i think ill strip it down get rid of all grease(not drag) treat it with tsi301 and not touch it for 12 months unless it needs it .funny noises etc; then i will know.  in may i will be tangling with gt,s and a lot of other nasties ,should give me a good indication.  im betting nothing will go pear shape.cheers

imo, you should use the reel because that would create load hence friction on the gears, main/pinion, then that will be a good indicator...;)

wallacewt

interesting point you make there sharker.
so the gears are always in oil, is that correct.

mel
im keen to give it a try,i dont think oil or grease are a problem with reels.(its the lack of)
its more corrosion, salt,sand,etc;

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i have been wanting to this for a while now, just use oil for the  main n pinion gear but procrastination has gotten worst since i moved way south of the border. anyways, this "experiment" i will be using synthetic Mobil1 with a 0- ??? viscosity and will be soaking the gears at least overnight. imo, it will work with preventive maintenance, just like anything that needs cleaning, lubing etc...almost forgot this only applies to LD reels as the gears don't have any contact with the drag washers...