baitcasters/oil or grease?

Started by wallacewt, December 09, 2012, 04:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

i,d  like to hear your thoughts on oil or grease for baitcasters.  except for the drag washers i was thinking of using tsi 301 on all parts,or corrosion x,inox etc;sand and grit easier to clean,wash it out,respray.i dont know about wear and tear.cheers

alantani

for a levelwind, super freespool is not possible, so the less expensive corrosion x should be fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

id like to rephrase the ?.   why is grease better on the gears than oil. a couple of revolutions of the gears and grease is  not on the teeth. tsi301 last a long time on bearings,would the same happen on gears.other moving parts.  sry about the confusion

alantani

i still just take an old toothbrush with some left over grease in it and just spread it around the inside of the reel, gears included.  nothing fancy here. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GulfOfBothnia

Quote from: wallacewt on December 09, 2012, 09:54:09 AM
id like to rephrase the ?.   why is grease better on the gears than oil. a couple of revolutions of the gears and grease is  not on the teeth. tsi301 last a long time on bearings,would the same happen on gears.other moving parts.  sry about the confusion

I think it may look like "grease is not on the teeth" but it is. Just a very thin layer that is enough to give the lubrication needed.
That's also the reason not to overgrease since the actual amount needed to give lubrication is very tiny.

This is how I understand it.

wallacewt

is it the same ,better ,worse or it doesnt matter ??? which one you use. ???

GulfOfBothnia

To be honest I do not know...

The tradition at least is to use grease on gears and it works. I feel safe to stay on this.

What it comes to tsi301/321 ability fuse / assimilate into the surface where it has been applied to and how it compares to grease... I think your question is valid.

Maybe someone will answer this.

wallacewt

and what about if you oil a tiagra,instead of grease,on a marlin.

Nuvole

I'll grease all parts, except the main shaft and any bearing holding on to the main shaft which I'll use oil. 

Bryan Young

I do the same for all reels. Maybe it just a system so I don't have to remember too much.

Main and pinion gears - grease
AR bearings - TSI321/CorrosionX or blended TSI321 and CorrosionX
Spool Bearings - TSI301 except on trolling reels not intended for live baiting, they are packed with grease
Line Guide assembly - TSI 301 on metal parts and TSI 321 on plastic parts
Sideplates, frames, reel seats - grease from greasy toothbrush spread al around then wiped to leave a thin film
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Gears should be greased, bearings can be oiled or greased depending on where the the bearing is and the reels main use.   For a casting reel oil the spool bearings, bottom fishing and trolling reels get grease, unless I'm fishing in below freezing weather (not a factor for you lucky people)then I use oil.  

GoB as it right, all it takes is a little grease on the gears to do the job but dry they begin to self distruct from wear, ungreased SS can gaul under pressure too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

i do the same as most of you guys. but 40 tears ago all i used was singer sewing machine oil.some of the reels are still as good as ever. no corrosion,no busted gears,same bearings.  all ive done is cleaned and changed the drag washers.(greased and oiled now) so just maybe,except for the drag washers all we need to do is oil them.if water gets in just clean and re-oil,no biggy. this came about when i was thinking about cars,sump.gears and so on.cheers

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

for me it matters, grease lasts longer (oil dries faster) and handles heat better than oil. i guess that's the reason why automotive transmissions  and differentials use very high viscosity oils. min weight  80...i would use oil on gears but i would have to tear the reel down and give the gears a bath (soak) for at least 4 hrs every after a fishing trip. but that's just me... ;)

wallacewt

i have a fin-nor ma20,i think ill strip it down get rid of all grease(not drag) treat it with tsi301 and not touch it for 12 months unless it needs it .funny noises etc; then i will know.  in may i will be tangling with gt,s and a lot of other nasties ,should give me a good indication.  im betting nothing will go pear shape.cheers

Bunnlevel Sharker

Duels have a seled off oil filled gear box
Grayson Lanier