Daiwa bg series

Started by finreaper, December 09, 2012, 06:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finreaper

We use the Diawa bg20  quite a bit n New Engand and they hold up great day after day for  short money. Im surprised there's no information here to speak of. Drag modifications?  Are others fishing these reels hard ? ::)

Bryan Young

Replace the drags with greased carbon fiber drags. That's about it with these great reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

I fish this one

Are you talking about the spining reels?

Bryan Young

I was talking about spinning reels. ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

finreaper

I'm talking spinning reels.....by the way how do you like those bg conventional reels?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: finreaper on December 10, 2012, 03:45:13 PM
I'm talking spinning reels.....by the way how do you like those bg conventional reels?

The reel is a Saltist BG 20H and it fishes fine for what I use it for. I use 50lb braid with 20lb topshots on this reel and mainly useit with live bait. I did clean out the spool bearings and relube with TSI 321 which gave it much better freespool. I could fish 25-30 lb topshots with the reel but I have other reels for that. I purchased this reel before the newer Penn Fathom's came out (non levelwind) and if I was looking to replace this reel I'd lean heavily toward the Fathom line. I have one of those too and use it to fish 25-30 lb test topshots for surface iron fishing here in Sourthern California.

Jeri

Hi All,

We get the larger versions of the BG multipliers here, up to 50 size, we have seen a few problems with them, especially the dogs on the pinion gear shearing off - renders the reel useless - as parts are yet to work there way to southern Africa.

Don't know whether it was just a bad batch, as we even saw three reels from the same outlet fail in exactly the same manner - the client was livid, as he had been put off buying the Finnor OHC, which he eventually bought to cure the cycle of replacements og 'BG' reels.

This might also come down to the disparity between where the companies get their reels made - the BG is made in Vietnam, while the upper market reels from Diawa are made in Japan. Have noticed the same 'quality products' issue with Shimano, low end market products are made in Malaysia, while upper end products are made in Japan, like the Trinidads.

Just a thought.
Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Fishead

I guess you have to be specific since they have added a conventional series to the BG label. I always thought it was the spinning reels til recently. The spinners are pretty bulletproof, the fact they have been around so long & are still available today says something about its durability
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

SoCalAngler

Just a update on the BG 20H, I now fish it with 25lb test toppers and it fishes well. I went on a So Cal/Baja tuna trip a couple of weeks ago and caught 3 BFT in the 35 to 45lb range and one that went 50lb plus with this reel. The reel handled the fish with no problems, as a matter of fact one of the deckhands said "you kill fish fast". I did move the handle to its longest setting for more torque but not sure I needed too.