Shimming Penn gear sleeves

Started by Jimmer, December 10, 2012, 10:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmer

Just got a 112H off ebay, noticed the handle slides in and out about .5 mm. A .4mm stainless shim washer under the sleeve leaves a little free end play in the sleeve with the pin back in. The handle feels a lot less sloppy now, does anyone think this could cause a functional problem with the reel? - Thanks - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Alto Mare

No Jim, you did good.
If I'm not able to find a washer that fits nicely, I usually file the ears off a metal drag washer.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I need to shim once and a while as you have done.  good job Jimmers. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Just remember the more you shim the sleeve away from the bridge the less engagement there is with the anti reverse dog which on the 112H is only 2mm thick. You should be ok with a 0.40mm shim washer but I would not shim any more unless the  dog and sleeve are both stainless steel.

Jimmer

Thanks Irish, Bryan and Sal - This reel was an impulse buy, I was going to hot rod it into a mini tank, but after cleaning it and seeing the pristine condition it is in I think I'll just reassemble it with the asbestos and brass drag washers and put it on the shelf. It looked like it had some speckling in the ebay pics, but it all wiped off before I really cleaned it. One chip on the end of the stand from a rod seat, Id have to call it 95%. Can't mess with that.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann