corrosion x

Started by kamuwela, November 11, 2009, 08:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamuwela

found my first can of corrosion x here on the island  was a little pricy $19 but  had to have it. tried it on everything, from slightly binding hinges to rusty pliers that was in the boat. the pliers soaked over night but was like new in the morning,reminds me of jb80 sold in the 70s and 80s  great stuff

alantani

that's pretty close to what i pay at my local shop.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

Quote from: alantani on November 13, 2009, 05:49:13 AM
that's pretty close to what i pay at my local shop.
lol i guess everybody has to make a living. i want to buy a gallon but not sure theyll ship
went to www.buycorrosionx.com no aerosol to hawaii the gallon is $82 i think ill try the gallon as a refill for the spray bottle or put it in a restarant type ketchup bottle and use it by the drop

kapnd

Hardware Hawaii sells gallons for about $84, quite a bit cheaper than the local marine stores. 
Hard to find a really great applicator that will meter out a controllable amount.  (yeah, I'm stingy with the stuff!)  The little spray bottles that come with the quarts only last about as long as the quart bottle.
It is awesome product, the best I've encountered.

kamuwela

Quote from: kapnd on November 17, 2009, 03:15:04 AM
Hardware Hawaii sells gallons for about $84, quite a bit cheaper than the local marine stores. 
Hard to find a really great applicator that will meter out a controllable amount.  (yeah, I'm stingy with the stuff!)  The little spray bottles that come with the quarts only last about as long as the quart bottle.
It is awesome product, the best I've encountered.
mahalo looks like ill be heading to mapunapuna. hope they dont see this its only 2 bucks more then tryin to ship it in mahalo again

alantani

mel, if you're going to be casting any kind of distance, try this stuff......

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageEMPRLUBE-XRL.html

kapnd

Quote from: alantani on November 17, 2009, 05:48:20 PM
mel, if you're going to be casting any kind of distance, try this stuff......

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageEMPRLUBE-XRL.html

Don't suppose thats available in Hawaii, I cant even get drag grease here.
I do have a tub of pure silicone grease that came with some pool equipment for lubing o-rings, will that work?

alantani

i tried silicone grease a long time back.  didn't work at all.  stick with the teflon stuff. call dawn at smoothdrag.com and ship it out to you.  alan

kamuwela

Quote from: alantani on November 19, 2009, 08:20:08 AM
i tried silicone grease a long time back.  didn't work at all.  stick with the teflon stuff. dawn at smoothdrag.com and ship it out to you.  alan
my first drag lube was bought at roys in a tiny plastic container from shimano. i bought 2 to do 7 brand new reels ,and reel x i know i seen it here not sure where tho.try p.o.p or butch at hobbie tat  if you need i have a lb of cals if you need to do a few reels no prob. i aloha   kamu     oahu

kapnd

Thanks guys, just got an order off to Smoothdrag, also ordered some carbontex washers for the Penn spinners. 
Have been trying to catch a marlin on my 850ssm, but the drag heats up and gets jerky, breaks line or straightens hook.   
Is there anything else I can do to this reel to improve my chances?
I worry about the bail roller, it gets pretty hot too.
So far I've done grease and corrosionX.

alantani

get a full set of carbon fiber drag washers in the reel, including the one underneath the spool, grease them all, and you should be fine. 

akfish

I'm not sure an 850SSm is up to marlin, even stripes or whites. It has only 3 dime size drag washers (006-060), the same as a Squidder. The 950SSm is a different matter --much more drag area -- and should be fine for small marlin.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

kamuwela

Quote from: akfish on November 21, 2009, 02:23:40 PM
I'm not sure an 850SSm is up to marlin, even stripes or whites. It has only 3 dime size drag washers (006-060), the same as a Squidder. The 950SSm is a different matter --much more drag area -- and should be fine for small marlin.
you would be suprised what we can do here in hawaii                                     ever hand line a 200 lb yellowfin?                                           

realmedic

cant say ive hand lined a tuna but ive handlined a 60 musky, and got the scars to prove it

kapnd

They are Stripes, and I have had a few up to the boat with this rig already, so It can be done!
Sure, I could use a 950, but it doesnt have the "light tackle" feel of the 850 loaded with 20# spectra.