Missing drive shaft spacer in calcutta 101B

Started by joel5673, December 11, 2012, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel5673

Hi all.Been noticing a grinding in the gears of my calcutta 101B recently.Opened it up and checked the gears,no deformed or missing teeth.Looking deeper,I realized a spacer,part 2142(Spacer) was missing from my main shaft.This fits under the idle gear and I was wondering if this could possibly cause the grinding.Notice the shaft seems to be very wobbly without it.Thanks in advance for any help ^^
Greetings from Singapore.
Servicing reels slowly becoming as addictive as fishing.Maybe thats a good thing............

Bryan Young

I believe your drive shaft bearing is toast.  This is the reason why I like drive shaft bushings.  The bearings really cannot take the constant load since it's not just axial.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

joel5673

Err,the calcutta 101B has no drive shaft bearing  :-\
Servicing reels slowly becoming as addictive as fishing.Maybe thats a good thing............

alantani

here's the schematic.  http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Round_Baitcasting/05CT101B_v1_m56577569830641846.pdf

joel, don't know how it could have gone missing unless someone serviced it and forgot to put it back.  best case, replace the washer and everything wil work just fine.  worst case, there is damage to the gears and damage to the drive shaft at the base.  order a washer from shimano first, and let's see if it takes care of the problem. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

joel5673

Managed to find a washer,poped it back.Better now,but the gears are still grinding.Barely noticible but there.Guess its wear and tear.Thanks for all the help!