Penn 500 A and Tiburon P21 upgrade problem

Started by BonitaBch, December 11, 2012, 05:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonitaBch

Guys,

I have started an upgrade of a NOS Penn Jigmaster 500A and have hit a problem:

The Penn spool has a straight shaft that goes into the sleeve on the left side plate.

The Tib spool has a step on it.

The Tib spool will fit into the sleeve, however the collar prevents complete insertion, so the spool does not fit in the Tib frame.
Bonita Beach, FL

BonitaBch

The model is a Penn 500A.  Has anyone ever seen this before?
Bonita Beach, FL

Bryan Young

Unfortunately, that spool is probably designed for Penn's 505/506.  I believe these had bearings were the 500s has bushings.  I don't know what else to tell you.You could grind down that step...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BonitaBch

I have located a Penn 505HS and will proceed with the upgrade using that.  This should turn out to be even better!
Bonita Beach, FL

BonitaBch

Okay, so I am still working on this one year later!!!  The Penn 500 A will not accept a Tib or Accurate upgrade kit, so I located a freshwater use 505 in great condition.  I also bought the Tib handle arm/grip upgrade for it.  The Tib handle arm is thicker than the original Penn handle arm, so the post of the handle nut does not catch the threads of the gear sleeve for more than a couple of turns.  Has anyone solved this with a different handle nut?  I do not want to drill or cut on the Tib handle arm.
Bonita Beach, FL

BonitaBch

Good things come to those who wait, and I have finished this upgrade!  Following Alan's jigmaster post made it easy, no surprises and I am really happy with the way it came out.

This reel will look good with it's big brother, the Baja Special.

One request - one of the frame screws was non-standard, a phillips head that doesn't match.  If anyone has an extra, please PM me.  I have a couple of jigmaster handles and could trade if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Bonita Beach, FL

BonitaBch

Nevermind, got the screw from MysticParts.com

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Bonita Beach, FL

john2244

How did you resolve the issue with the thick Tiburon handle arm and the stock handle nut ??

John

BonitaBch

John, I had a problem with the first stainless gear sleeve that I tried.  The Tib handle would not fit on it no matter how I tried, so I finally had a machinist file down the sides of the end.  I knew that was not the right way to go about it, so I ordered another one and it fit the Tib handle perfectly and must have had deeper cut-outs because the handle nut fit in for 5 - 6 turns so it's very secure now.
Bonita Beach, FL

john2244