Changing Gear Ratio on new Stradic FJ and Sustain FG????

Started by frank tank, December 11, 2012, 06:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank tank

The gear ratio on the new 6000 and up in these reels are 4.8:1 which is too slow for surface spinning or lets just say the 6.2:1 of the older models were much more suited to my types of fishing.

Can one change this and has anyone considered or done it?

fisher480

alantani

it would be nice if these were more modular, but it's rare to find.  anyone know?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

It cannot be changed.

If you want a faster retrieve all you have to do is order an "Aceration" which is a higher speed Saragosa. They can be found on the flea bay. All of the other parts as needed over time can be ordered from Shimano USA but they will not honor warranty on non-USA Shimanos.

Shimano's position on this is that the less expensive models at the cheaper price points do not hold up if the retrieve is fast (more stress on gears) so they basically refuse to make them. You simply have to buy more expensive reels if you want high speed retrieves as to get those gears to hold up they require the highest tech in the fishing industry.

best regards.

frank tank

thanks for the responses. the Saragosa is out due to that cheap plastic drag knob, messes that reel up for me.

johndtuttle

Quote from: frank tank on December 26, 2012, 09:41:44 PM
thanks for the responses. the Saragosa is out due to that cheap plastic drag knob, messes that reel up for me.

pretty much everything in that class these days has a plastic drag cap. shimano did add a metal insert into the most recent models of Saragosa.

The budget high speed option these days is the Daiwa Saltist for popper fishing. If you want more reliability than those in a high speed option it's Stella or Saltiga after that.

best regards