bearings

Started by wallacewt, December 13, 2012, 04:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

is acetone alright to clean bearings? then use tsi 301

Reelz

most people use carb or brake cleaner. I've personally only use brake cleaner and works pretty well. Just take the shielfs off and clean them. Havent used acetone though.

wallacewt

thanks reelz,
thats what ive been doing for a long time now.
i read a report and the bloke said use brake cleaner and comp; air or use acetone
thats why i asked,ive never used acetone on bearings

Jeri

Hi All,

We use benzine to clean out bearings, then just leave them to dry out on absorbant paper towel, a few 'soft' taps with a pencil knocks some of the residue out. Then we re-oil, usually without taking the shields out.

Have used a ultrasonic cleaner - water for main bath, then drop the bearrings in a glass bottle of benzine. That really shakes all the residue out. Then just let the benzine evaporate, before oiling.

Only use the ultrasonic system on bearings for competition reels - works really well.

By not removing the shields, we avoid possible damage to them, and possibly disrupting the bearing later in use.

Just our method around the same problem that everybody has, but then we only oil our bearings for surf casting.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

wallacewt

thanks jeri
have you ever used acetone, anybody.

Jeri

Hi,

Acetone doesn't dissolve some greases, not as fully as benzine in our experience. Also, it is a very aggressive chemical, and might easily cause some harm to users. We only use a little in our rod building, and then only when really necessary.

Cheers

Jeri

Irish Jigger

I have used acetone on ball bearings in the past, it cleaned them very quickly and evaporated almost immediately.
Great stuff for removing grp resins and epoxies too ;)

Strewth

I use acetone all the time and find it great. Use it in a well ventilated area though. Copying an idea I saw on another site, I machined up a threaded brass rod to hold the bearings with a nut, which I then spin in a small jar of acetone using a Dremel. Gets bearings really clean in a couple of minutes and does not leave a residue. The only way to do it in my view.

Alto Mare

Some separators are plastic :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Strewth

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 13, 2012, 10:48:58 PM
Some separators are plastic :-\

Haven't come across plastic in my bearings - baitcasters and small spinners only. Some have removable rubber shields - eg Bocas - which should always be removed. A few minutes on a Dremel has resurrected some bearings I thought were finished, and you don't need to remove the shields.

exp2000

While I have experience with both, I can't understand why you would use acetone over lighter fluid  ???

Acetone is a plastics solvent used in the fiberglass industry, NOT a petrochemical degreaser.

Lighter fluid is a proper grease solvent and evaporates clean leaving no residue.

Surely, it would have to be much more effective than acetone?
~

Ron Jones

The DOW product sheet says it is a degreaser and I've used it to degrease surfaces for painting.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

exp2000

Quote from: Jeri on December 13, 2012, 10:16:10 AM

Acetone doesn't dissolve some greases, not as fully as benzine in our experience.

That would be my take as well.

Benzine aka Shellite (Australia) aka Coleman Fuel (USA) known generally as lighter fluid would be a much more effective grease solvent than acetone.

It's is widely used in reel servicing to clean parts and is virtually odorless.

Keep the acetone for rod building.
~

Pro Reel

Actually, acetone is one of the cleanest evaporating solvents there is. Most solvents will leave some residue. Acetone is used to clean optics and mirrors in telesopes, because it doesn't leave any residue. try this simple test. Put a drop of your solvent on a clear sheet of glass and then put a drop of acetone on the glass. Let them both evaporate and see what you have left. Any solvent thats petroleum based will leave an oily residue.  I have used both acetone and several other solvents to clean bearings. I now use a generic camp stove fuel because it works good and it's cheap. I still use acetone as the final rinse on all stainless steel bearings because i know it leaves them cleaner than any petroleum based solvent.

Tiddlerbasher

I use IPA (isopropryl alcohol) 99%+ not rubbing alcohol. Acetone will dissolve certain plastics IPA does not. I place the bearings in a tiny glass jar. Cover them in IPA. Place the jar in a warm water bath of an ultrasonic cleaner (small jewellery type - from Ebay!). 3 minutes later done  :) I additionally use the IPA to 'dilute' TSI321 - 80% IPA to 20% TSI321 (the same ratio as TSI301 - BUT TSI321 ships more easily and doesn't leak  ;)). The solvent used in TSI301 is very toxic and unavailable in the UK.