505HS drag stack

Started by BMITCH, December 15, 2012, 02:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

I have a few questions about a 505HS I'm working on right now. First is as you may be able to tell from the below picture that there are two beveled or sping washers at the end to the right. Is this correct? Second is if I was to drill out the opening in the side cover to place a larger and thicker diameter spacer sleeve(9-60 or 9-99) wouldn't this basically give a larger surface area to make contact with the drag washers therefore upping the drag t a couple of pounds? Any thoughts?The part in the top right would be the alum. Pipe to make a spacer.
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Unless you are bending the metal washers the contact area of the spacer sleeve does not matter.  The schematic only shows one spring washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

As Keta ( Lee ) mentioned, you should have one cupped washer. Do not drill the opening, it won't help you.
A cupped washer spring is used to evenly distribute pressure on your drag stack. There are a few things you could do to bring the feel of the drag tension to your liking, you could add another keyed washer under the cupped washer...if you have the room. I like to add this washer right under the star wheel:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/8-60.aspx
These will not give you more drags, just smoother adjustments
If I can help it, I like my drags to be very lose on my reels, to the point that the spool doesn't move when I turn the handle, with the star  backed all the way and in gear.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

If you want a little more drag, it is possible to install a 5+1 drag stack in the 505 while using one cupped washer and you need to grind down the spacer a little so everything fits. It works great, but be careful, I can get good drag pressure up to 25#. And before anyone asks, yes, I shredded my gears experimenting. Can you imagine what would have happened if I was fishing
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1518.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quick 505/506 question, I don't own any HS Jigmasters.  The spring washer in the photo looks like a Belleville and not the wavy washer on my reels, is this a stock part?  I need some of that size Belleville washers.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

The part you are looking for is 18-505 Bevelled washer I get mine from Scott's

If you want the thin ones that come in Newell's you are welcome to the ones I have-more then 12
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

BMITCH

Bryan, thanks for the link. I forgot about the 5 + 1 arrangement. Looks like another order to Dawn for the washer set. Will I need both the carbontex and the metal ones?
luck is the residue of design.

alantani

the bellevilles on the lower right should distribute downward pressure onto the top keyed metal washer properly.  the small sleeve originally in the reel should be all that is needed.  i think you will be fine without the larger sleeve.  put it together as is and run it through its paces.  i think you will be fine.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: bluefish69 on December 15, 2012, 04:59:46 PM

If you want the thin ones that come in Newell's you are welcome to the ones I have-more then 12

Thanks for the offer but Bryan beat you too it, 2 will get me buy until I need to make another order.  I have never been impressed with the wavy spring washers.

Mark Twain

bluefish69

I was not offering the wavy washers. What I offered was the beleveled washers from the top of the drag stack. Wavy washers are in the trash.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Place them in an envelope and send them my way next time....I like to recycle ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: bluefish69 on December 15, 2012, 08:31:47 PM
I was not offering the wavy washers. What I offered was the beleveled washers from the top of the drag stack. Wavy washers are in the trash.

I understood, sorry about the confusion.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I also toss those wavy washers because many times they are rusted.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Jigmasters, Squidders and more don't mind if those are discolored. What do you guys place in those reels when you toss those spring washers.

Keta

I've been using SS Belleville washers Alan had in my 349s and 113Hs.

Mark Twain