Daiwa 4000c 1973 restored

Started by FirePro911, December 16, 2012, 06:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FirePro911

Here is the latest reel I just finished up. A 1973 Daiwa 4000c Spinning Reel that my Father gave me some time back. I used it once, but it was noisy so I put it away. Well recently after researching it, I found out the noise could be from the main bearing. So I have been wanting to use it again and tore it down for the rebuild. It came out great and is on a 1101 6.6 Medium Heavy Ugly Stick spooled with 65lb red braid waiting for the Redfish action.

Removed the skirt to reveal this. Looks like some heavy grease, maybe axle grease.

The paint on it was also worn

Removed the ball bearing retainer and then anti-reverse cam

Removed the gears and main shaft

Skirt and handle assembly

The clicker (Spool Click Claw) inside the skirt

Once the Drag Knob was removed, it really got ugly

The bearing for the handle

The name plate fell off, actually on both sides.

Anti Reverse assembly

Trying to remove main bearing. It was pretty much rusted in place, took some spraying of Corrosion X and wiggling to get it out.

This is called the Bearing Metal. It goes on the main body for the Handle Shaft to go through.

Finally got the Main Bearing removed. Here it is sitting back on the Worm Gear.

Handle Bearing was in pretty good shape still.

Both Main and Handle Bearings. You can see the Main Bearing is destroyed pretty much.

Drag Washers

Rachet rusted up real good.

Inside Bail on Line Roller side

Disassembled Bail

Lead counterweight which is not shown on schematics. Located on opposite side on Line Roller.

All the dirty parts, time to see what to replace.

Once I opened up Drag Knob, I knew I had to replace it. They sell it as a whole unit.

Removed retainer ring.

To see this mess.

Took the skirt first and removed clear coat to polish out the aluminum. I sanded it and then polished it, focusing on the top part where the line slides around during casting. It had some gouges and nicks that would have possibly frayed the line over time.

Stainless Drag Washers are going to get sanded and polished also.

Once I hit the body with Acetone to clean it, the paint came right off. The just shoot it silver at the factory with no clear coat. So I removed all paint and got it ready to shoot silver again.

First I shot Self Etching Primer on it.

Then a few coats of silver

Then shot it clear

I used this product to clear the skirt was i was done sanding and polishing on it.

Here are the replacement parts I ordered along with the old ones. The Drive Gear had worn down and broken teeth. I got everything from [http://www.fishingreelparts.com/]Dave's Parts & Service[/url].

The Main Shaft was badly pitted. I had polished it out to use at first, but decided to go with a new one.

I ordered Soooth Drag CarbonTex Washers from Dawn. I had to measure my old ones as has never had someone request any for this reel. The drag washer setup is for reeling in a fish only, since when you cast a spinning reel, the spool does not spin. The white washers are made out of teflon and not sure about the black one, which was torn.

Everything polished, painted and ready to go.

Back together, made in Japan.

And with a 1975 Ad I picked up from eBay.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

FirePro, that's a beautiful job you did on that reel, your father will be proud. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Sal

By the way, since we're on the Daiwa subject, I just found a new housing for the BG13 black and gold, mixed in with my penn parts. If anyone can use it, just let me know and I'll put it in the mail.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Bryan Young

Wow, bringing back an old buddy to fight another day.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fish-aholic

What a restoration job, Firepro! You fully deserve the photo of the month! The old advertisement poster shot is awesome, too. Thank you!

FirePro911

Thanks everyone!

Now to get started on the next one. Not sure yet which one it will be. I'm also wanting to fully restore a 1974 Eska 5hp outboard I have. Still researching it and its history as there are a ton of them out there. No tags or decals on it, plus someone painted the cowing white. It will be a fun project though.

wallacewt

Cone

Nice restoration ready to go for another 40 years. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

saltydog

I just picked up one of these at a garage sale,nice tutorial.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Brendan

I can't believe that, great job. A clear case of better than new.
Tight Lines, Brendan.

Kayaker

Nice work, that reel looks familiar from my early fishing days!

FirePro911

Ok, I am trying to locate a few parts for this reel. I have been fishing it a lot, inshore and offshore. I use it offshore with a sabiki setup to catch bait at the rigs while we are headed out. Also intend to try and land a tuna with it this October when we head out.

I have located the Bail assembly with a roller, but am having a hard time locating a handle assembly as it is obsolete. Once I locate and buy the handle, I want to put a round power knob on it also from Smoooth Drag.

You can see the handle here and how corroded it gets. I can polish it up, but it is still rough.

If anyone has one or knows where I might get one, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

redsetta

QuoteFirePro, that's a beautiful job you did on that reel, your father will be proud. Thanks for sharing it with us.
That about sums it up - thanks Sal  ;) ;D
Nice work once again FP.
Love the stroker outboard, too - built a few track bike strokers meself.
Let me know if you run into any quandaries on the restoration ;)
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

Thanks for this. I have my grandfathers little brother of that reel and was looking for a rebuild procedure. Good luck with the handle search.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"