New England Clam Chowder

Started by Alto Mare, December 17, 2012, 02:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Just what the doctor ordered for a damp/dreary day in the Northeast! Couldn't get rid of the chill so my wife made some clam chowder...

2-3 dozen of little neck clams
1 1/2 cups homemade fish stock
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, crushed
3 rashers bacon, chopped
1 1/2 lb. potatoes, diced
2 cups 2% milk
1/2 cup light cream
Chopped, fresh parsley

Soak and clean clams as usual. Place clams and 1 cup of cold water into a heavy-based pan, cover and steam for about 5 minutes until they open.

Remove clams; take meat out of shells; strain and reserve liquid for later

Clean pan; heat the oil and saute the onion, bacon and garlic until the bacon is golden.

Add the potatoes and stir well

Add the reserve liquid, the stock and the milk to the pan. Bring to the boil and reduce immediately. Cover and simmer for 20 mins. until potatoes are tender; uncover and cook for a bit longer to thicken

Add the cream, clam meat and parsely and season with salt/black pepper to taste. Heat through but be careful not to boil once the cream is added

Enjoy!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Wow!!!! Know what my next dinner's gonna be......
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bluefish69

Instead of Bacon try Pancetta or what we use Hot Pancetta to give it a little bite back.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

wallacewt

looks good,crunchy bread on the side,

Dominick

Hey Sal: That is impressive.  It's gluten free also.  Justin will go for it also.  As you can see it sometimes is easy to eat gluten free.  But I really miss Italian bread.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

dobrobill

Yum, It's a copy to my computer..... Thanks

Keta

It looks sooooooo good I licked my montor.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt