112H upgrade???

Started by BMITCH, December 17, 2012, 10:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Bryan, thanks for the link under my question on the 505HS drag config. This has me wondering....is it possible to fit the 505HS gears into a 112H? I have both of these reels apart and they appear to be a little different in size. The 112 main gear is 1.243" in dia and the 505 is 1.268. I'm aware that the pinion gear will need to be drilled out to fit the spool of the 112. How about the height of the main gear?? Will this bind on the side cover? I have both of these torn down right now and wondering if I could change out the gears on the 112 to 5:1 jigmaster type??
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

I have seen 112Hs with 5:1 gears but am not sure if it was the 505HS gears or Newell's for the 500.  Sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Bryan, I just took apart a reel that has the accurate/Newell gears 5:1 and was able to fit them in the 112H. The 505HS on the other hand will not fit. FYI.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Irish Jigger

I fitted a set of 505 gears to a friend's 112H a couple of years ago. I vaguely remember filing two diametrically opposite clearance "steps" in the Pinion reinforcing ring to clear the Spool spindle interface.  I do not recollect drilling the Pinion to create a fit.

Offer the Pinion up to the Spool spindle to estimate what clearance is required.

I was advised not to modify the Spool spindle flats if I wished to revert to using the original 4:1 gears again and that the  Penn 5:1 Jigmaster gears were the first parts to fail in these reels.

The 112H I modified is still catching fish albeit nothing over 15lbs.

alantani

the 505 main gear has that tall lip.  that has to come off.  also, the spool shaft of the 112h might be larger in diameter than the hole in the pinion gear.  if so, it will have to be drilled out. if yo can do those two things, then it should work.  but they you still have the very fine, unreliable gear teeth of the soft manganese-bronze alloy main gear.  it needs to be stainless steel.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!