Drag Washer Cleaning?

Started by MaddKatter, December 18, 2012, 11:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaddKatter

I've been following these forums for a couple of years now, lots of great info and professional people on here.  Just signed up today, and have a quick question if anyone could help me out.  I've broken down the drag in my 6500 for yearly cleaning and want to replace the hot sauce for cals grease on the drag washers.  I usually just wipe the drag down and reapply but i really want to break down all the grease and start fresh.  Is it safe to clean the carbontex washers with crc non chlorinated brake cleaner?   The washers are still in good shape, so i'd rather not replace the washers all together just yet.  Thank you all in advance!  Great site.

Alto Mare

Welcome MaddKatter. Clean your washers with a dry rag and you should be Ok from there.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

I've used brake cleaner to clean really sticky carbon drags before. It hasn't hurt the ones I've done but unless they have really gooey grease and oil on them I just wipe them off. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

brake cleaner should work, but might not be necessary.  just clean off any excess oil with a clean rag and then slather on some cal's grease.  you should be fine!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MaddKatter

I appreciate all the replies, and welcomes.  I look forward to getting to know you all.  Thank you all again.