Penn 12/0 Squeek.

Started by Jackster, December 20, 2012, 08:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackster

I bought this reel a year ago. I have one other that works like a dream. However, we like to set out multiple baits.

I had a rather large fish on in the summer, never actually saw it as it spooled me after an hour battle. This 12/0 has the upgraded drag. Ever since that night, the reel has had a little squeek. I managed to take it apart and do a clean and lube. It appears to be working after puting it back together, but there is still that squeek. I can spin the crank and it moves freely. No squeek without pressure. If I take out a little bit of line and puth some pressure on the line and reel it in, the squeek is there.

I made sure to grease all the moving parts well. Could it be the bearing? I just dont want to kill the thing using it if there is a worn part etc.

Any suggestions?

Tile

Check the bridge plate and the sideplates for rub marks to confirm if the spool started spreading or not. Next check the bearings and replace the bad one.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

Also try check the gear sleeve and the gear sleeve post.  Many times I find worn out oil, and I prefer grease as it takes the locad better.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

frame could be torqued after a long fight like that.  would have liked to have been there.  must have been pretty exciting, going up against something that big with a 12/0!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Probably just a bad bearing, as you probably already know, those reels are pretty tough. All we need is a one piece framefor those.... we're trying to get some :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jackster

Yes it was fun. The location was Ft. Myers Beach at Big Carlos pass. Catch 5- 8 footers all the time. Ive seen videos of reels getting dumped pretty quick. This was more like she'd gain 100 I'd get 30 pack and so on. Probably a huge bull or a decent Hammer, the power was amazing, lifted me up off my butt from the sand, thank goodness for drags. Not too many Tigers in our area. Definately a one off fish. It was exciting yet depressing. Nature won! and I hope the hook rusted quickly.

I will make a disclaimer. I have taken apart my 9/0's and my old 12 before. I am not an expert and do not know the names of the parts just what they look like. It scares me everytime I do it. lol. But it is interesting. The bearings are what the ends of the spool sit in correct? Probably not a big deal to get a couple of those. Sounds like the squeek is coming from the handle side. It's not a steady squeek, it's like everytime the spool gets to a point. Does sound like metal on metal though. I will check for a torque.

Gear sleave and post seem ok. I cleaned everything really well with a degreaser and coated all of the moving parts with Penn grease. I put penn oil inside the post.

I do not see any signs of wear on the side plates. The spool is graphite, not metal like my older one. I apreciate the input.

Chris 

Makule

Had a similar problem with a 9/0 after 45 minute fight with a good size hammer.  W/o pressure everything seem okay.  Under pressure (pulling line out with maybe 10 lb of drag), there was binding and noise.  Couldn't figure it out.  Thought it might have been a bearing, but those were fine.  Discovered that the frame was distorted.  Took it apart and put it back together and all is fine now.  It only take a little bit of torquing (is there such a word) to get the spool to touch the frame since the clearance is very small.  So, agree with Alan.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Jackster

That is exactly what is happening. I have put it back together. Hmm. Maybe I will switch the posts around. Probably wont hurt to replace the bearings anyway.

Thank you for the information and Merry Christmas!!

Tile

Tiburon should start making aluminium half frames for the larger sized Senators. This will eliminate the distortion problem associated with these reels for good. They will have a nice market for them  :) .
In solid fiberglass we trust

raumati01

Quote from: Tile on December 21, 2012, 04:46:53 PM
Tiburon should start making aluminium half frames for the larger sized Senators. This will eliminate the distortion problem associated with these reels for good. They will have a nice market for them  :) .

Yes please, I really want to give mine a work out.

Bunnlevel Sharker

What was the pickup like on the bite? And what speed was the fish taking the line off?
Grayson Lanier

Jackster

I think it hit my other line first. It bit through the leader which was american fishing wire 250 lb test.

I was realing that line in when it hit the other line, which had a nice big Jack on it for bait. I had 600 test leader on that one with 20/0 hook. 130 lb test mono. It hit hard and started pulling line. I took the rod form my friend and set the hook. I started adding drag and it didn't slow. I locked it down after 1/3 of the spool was gone. At this point I was into my braid backing 600 yards or so. Kept tearing line, not super fast, just steady like a train. Reel needed to have water on it. Was real hot. I finally ran sideways down the beach and get it turned. I got maybe half my line back then all of a sudden it starts pulling really hard and there was no stopping it. I cut the line when I got down almost to the knot. I didn't want to lose the rod.

Need to learn how to tie in.

Makule

Did you happen to notice a tug boat in the vicinity where the end of your line should have been? ;D
I think no matter how large you make the reels, nature makes the sharks bigger.  One thing I've learned is to not rough up a shark.  Doing so kind of wakes them up and they start show just how strong they really are.  When we used to go diving, we'd usually see sharks just slowly cruising around, but one in a great while some of them would be really smoking.  These weren't the smaller ones, but over 10' and husky.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Jackster

Yes, it was like we picked up a boat that was slowly trolling.  :o  Must have been a really big bull or a Tiger. I have seen utube videos of Hammers stripping reels.

Anyway, yes it probably got ticked off and really went for it. Did a job on my reel though. Tightening up the posts really well seems to have stopped the squeek. Must have been torqued.

Harry

Hi Jackster, the first thing i would be looking at to stop the squeek would be the moving parts on the handle.  i had that issue once too ,it was the handle ! all it needed was a bit of oil.