Shimano calcutta ct 250

Started by steelheadman, December 23, 2012, 12:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelheadman

although the calcutta 250 isn't equipped with a 'line out' clicker, when I cast, mine makes an almost silent, but audible clicking sound simialr to a line out clicker. It started doing this last steelhead season...I recently dismantled the reel, cleaned and oiled/greased as per Shimano's mainenance tips...  is the retractor spring worn? is a bearing worn? any suggestions? Thanks

alantani

maybe the spool rubbing on the frame somewhere?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelheadman

Nope....that was my first thought....doesn't sound like a rub...sounds almost like gears are almost, but not quite meshing

Bryan Young

Sounds like the pinion gear is not fully retracted or the spool is so loose that when you tip the reel to the right, it will hit the spool locking pin with the pinion gear.  You may want to try checking the spool tension knob so that there is a slight side to side play in the spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelheadman

The pinion gear was my next possibility...if it isn't fully retracted, then the culprit is more than likely a worn retractor spring...hard to understand why that spring would fatigue after 3 years of use during the winter steelhead season. If I go to replace the spring, I might as well replace the pinion gear as well....

steelheadman

Alan...haven't read much that's good about Mike's Reel Repairs with regard to getting ordered parts...any other outlets you know of that I can get repair parts for my Calcutta 250 from??

Bryan Young

Shimano directly. Great customer service.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D