First big fight on the 113H

Started by Augie3000, December 23, 2012, 02:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augie3000

Hello guys!  Its been a while, but I'm excited to report back on how the 113h worked.  I serviced the reel and upgraded the drag washers to HT100s with all of the help I found here.  This was my first time servicing a reel, and I really needed a lot of help.  So, here's the story and a few pics of that 113h in action.

I took my friend from Jacksonville, Florida, fishing this weekend and we were catching yellowtail snapper on some smaller spinning outfits down here in Islamorada.  We caught a barely legal one and put him down on the bottom rod with the 113h.  A few minutes later the rod doubles over and my friend grabs it.

After a 15 minute fight, and a lot of hoping that this was a huge black grouper...

...my friend brings boatside a big nurse shark.  He was about seven feet long.  If you've never caught one of these guys, they pull very hard. 

That's me leadering the shark.  The reel worked perfectly.  The drag was ultra smooth, and had plenty of stopping power.  I've reeled in a few small tuna and a different pretty big shark with this same rod and reel.  The reel is spectacular. 

Another vote for the Alanized 113h. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Augie

Alto Mare

Great report Augie, I need to get on that boat with you guys and bring some of my custom Senators.
Islamorada is a great place, I've fished there a couple of times, but didn't have my personal gear.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
BTW, give some info on that rod, if you don't mind.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours as well.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Augie3000

Hey Sal.  The rod is a custom job from Rick at Key Largo Rods down here in Islamorada.  Its a six foot with rollers on bottom and top.  Really nice.  I told Rick I wanted a good bottom rod to handle nice mutton snapper and tough grouper.  I just got an order of 8 rods from there and they are all very nice.  If you want more info or are looking to order one I'm sure I can find out more about what it is.  It has 2040 written on the side.  I have the 113 spooled with 40lb ande pink mono. 

Come down anytime, I'd love to go fishing. 

Augie

alantani

yeesh, i was looking at that belt being positioned so high.  it must have been hard to get alot of leverage like that.  nice fish!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rare

Any pics of the big black? Congrats! You sure it was a big nurse shark? They really don't fight & are just plain lazy dead weight. lol. The very small atlantic shark nose & bonnet shark have more pep then any of the nurse shark. Our trip to dry tortugas in Oct., few of the crew got spanky by a few big blacks on yellow tail & jigs.

broadway

Glad to see it worked out for you, pal... nice fish on the greatest reel of all time.
Keep at it,
Dom

Augie3000

Quote from: Rare on December 23, 2012, 11:11:15 PM
Any pics of the big black? Congrats! You sure it was a big nurse shark? They really don't fight & are just plain lazy dead weight. lol. The very small atlantic shark nose & bonnet shark have more pep then any of the nurse shark. Our trip to dry tortugas in Oct., few of the crew got spanky by a few big blacks on yellow tail & jigs.

I'm pretty sure it was a nurse, almost positive.  I agree they don't fight in a normal way, but when they are big, they can really test your strength to get them up.  As for a big black grouper, I'll get one here soon hopefully and post it up!  Going out reef fishing with my fiance today, maybe she'll get a good one. 

Augie

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

thanks for the report and pics. now can't wait to put my 113H to test againts the biggest catfish here in brazil. btw good job...

Alto Mare

Quote from: Augie3000 on December 24, 2012, 12:15:56 PM
Quote from: Rare on December 23, 2012, 11:11:15 PM

I'm pretty sure it was a nurse, almost positive.  I agree they don't fight in a normal way, but when they are big, they can really test your strength to get them up.  As for a big black grouper, I'll get one here soon hopefully and post it up!  Going out reef fishing with my fiance today, maybe she'll get a good one. 

Sure or not sure, it was still a 7' shark on the 113H...nice job Augie ;)
That blank appears to be heavier than a 2040, maybe just the angle of the shot. I have a couple of 4060 blanks with my 113h's same as yours, roller on top and bottom.
Nice to see I'm not alone using mono. From what I read, looks like braid out West and mono in the East for most :-\
Thanks again Augie.
Sal
BTW, not that 15 minutes is bad, a little longer handle would make things a little easier on that baby for next time.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Squirmypug

Nice fish  :)  Nurse sharks fight more when you put them in the boat than they do in the water, they like to roll up in the line alot too.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Rare

Quote from: Augie3000 on December 24, 2012, 12:15:56 PM
Going out reef fishing with my fiance today, maybe she'll get a good one. 

Them black groupers don't play. lol Give them just an inch and it's game over & back in the hole they go. Good luck out there!

Alto Mare,

That seems to be the how it's done over here. I only have braid as backing & the rest if filled with mono. I might start to get away with this on a few reels when we are fishing the sandy bottom where I don't have to worry about structure/wrecks etc. Them mutton will bite & you really want to feel & set the hook before they spit it out. Plus, lots of guys fish on party boats and braid is a no no! I dont blame them